Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden vl blowing fuel pump fuse

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Hi all,

Im having this issue in my vl turbo that I am blowing the fuel pump fuse at random times, happens only I accelerate hard on the freeway and going over 80kmh.

This issue has started when I fitted a long range tank as never had this issue with my standard tank.

In the long range tank I have a new Walbro intank pump and the external pump is still the factory pump.

Would anyone know what my issue may be? And what I can start checking?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the intank pump is usually just the lift pump for the VL which feeds the main pump externally, if u have a big intank pump then u wont need the external (lift pump is only used to feed the main external as its above the tank bottom and cant self prime) what size is the in tank now or is it just the new lift pump ?

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Hi all,

Im having this issue in my vl turbo that I am blowing the fuel pump fuse at random times, happens only I accelerate hard on the freeway and going over 80kmh.

This issue has started when I fitted a long range tank as never had this issue with my standard tank.

In the long range tank I have a new Walbro intank pump and the external pump is still the factory pump.

Would anyone know what my issue may be? And what I can start checking?
sounds like the 2 pumps are to much voltage surge for your relay/fuse size.

If the walbro intank pump is very large, with your new fitted long range tank you can ditch the external factory pump and just run the walpro only.
If you run both pumps then a larger relay/fuse might be way to go and maybe even larger wire guage if the factory wire is old worn thin.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
sounds like the 2 pumps are to much voltage surge for your relay/fuse size.

If the walbro intank pump is very large, with your new fitted long range tank you can ditch the external factory pump and just run the walpro only.
If you run both pumps then a larger relay/fuse might be way to go and maybe even larger wire guage if the factory wire is old worn thin.

I need to pull out the fuel sender and see what pump that's in there now as I bought the tank with with a new pump already in it and lost the info about it

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
I need to pull out the fuel sender and see what pump that's in there now as I bought the tank with with a new pump already in it and lost the info about it
Thats a good idea, I assumed you bought/installed the walpro and would know the specs and not just wacking in something bought unknown.
You could try just disconnecting outside pump and run only the walpro if large enough or get the proper small low pressure internal lift pump installed to suit the original car wiring.

If you know what car/engine combo long range tank came from then I'm sure you can work out what your electrical issue is. I bet the previous factory car the tank was in only ran 1 large pump and your issue is the 2 pump setup.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Thats a good idea, I assumed you bought/installed the walpro and would know the specs and not just wacking in something bought unknown.
You could try just disconnecting outside pump and run only the walpro if large enough or get the proper small low pressure internal lift pump installed to suit the original car wiring.

If you know what car/engine combo long range tank came from then I'm sure you can work out what your electrical issue is. I bet the previous factory car the tank was in only ran 1 large pump and your issue is the 2 pump setup.
If I disconnect the external pump to see if it will run, will fuel still be able to get to the engine? As not powering the external won't restrict the flow?

How empty do I need to get the tank to take out the sender without fuel overflowing and coming out of the hole where the sender sits? As I need to see what pump i have

Last edited: