Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden's vision of the future

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Bring out that line in 25 years time, and people will tell you that your are dreaming. And ask " what was a Holden ? "

the brand will still be here, just won't mean anything anymore.

Aussies used to take pride in Australia, now? not so much.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
the brand will still be here, just won't mean anything
anymore.

Agreed. Holdens won't be the same and will have little appeal to me. I've been a car nut since the HK was released but once local production ceases that love for cars will probably die too.

Last edited:

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
But what about all existing Holdens... Won't they suddenly mean more to Holden lovers? I can only see good, well looked after, mechanically sound examples of Aussie built Holdens appreciating in value as time goes on. Not significantly, but to someone like me, it would be nice to have one in a garage under a cover that I can take out and appreciate from time to time. A closed chapter of Australian motoring history that I could pass on to my kids one day...

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
the brand will still be here, just won't mean anything anymore.

I believe we had to give up that pride thing in Australia as it was upsetting certain groups!

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Holden will need a hero car like the corvette and/or comaro to be relevant. Other then the mildly successful Colorado the rest If the offerings are like Whitegoods on wheels with depreciation worse than Warwick Cappers sentance construction.

JmL300993

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sedan sv6
Lmfao nearly fell off my chair, What vision!

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Like Calaber I'm now at the point where my body is breaking down, I've been diagnosed with spondylosis (spinal osteoarthritis) and apparently sciatica isn't far off as well if I don't watch out. This means I'll probably be looking to move to a vehicle with easier access, so an SUV is likely to be my next purchase. I might do it a bit differently though - pick up a V8 Adventra for a song or look at an LS-swapped 80-series Landcruiser. Going to an SUV doesn't have to be completely depressing. I will miss hard cornering though. :(

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Hard cornering is another of those things of the past, because these days there is always somebody in either a Eurobox or Noodlebox in front of you who can't decide if they should brake, stop, answer their mobile phone, or decide if the corner goes left or right.
I get frustrated by the idiots who have to drive 10kmh faster than you, and pass you on 3 km of overtaking lanes, then virtually stop at a roundabout even when there are no other cars in sight, so that the 100 metres they have gained on you is negated.
But what does this have to do with Holdens 'Vision of the future' ? Nothing. Just like their 'Vision of reality in the future'.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Hard cornering is another of those things of the past, because these days there is always somebody in either a Eurobox or Noodlebox in front of you who can't decide if they should brake, stop, answer their mobile phone, or decide if the corner goes left or right.

Two words "race line"