Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home Security Cameras

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Honestly security camera research is so vast, no wonder I haven't looked at anything new in a while.

Saw a work offer for Eufy 2K wireless kit & thought I would have a look around. Seems a staple at Bunnings, SCA, Officeworks, TGG, JBs etc.

4pk 2K pro camera kits with homebase 2 (I know 3 is out) for $1,066 delivered via work deal.
Bunnings has them for $1,100 and everywhere else is $1,499, SCA says they will price match and have sent me a voucher for the difference that + trade pricing makes it more attractive to get it from SCA at $872

4 x 2K wireless cameras, 16GB local storage & expandable to 16 cameras, option for adding solar panels for charging and it seems a possible solution as running cables over large property to sheds etc is going to end up costly once licenced trades involved. Can also grab a new doorbell camera that's compatible.

Setting up a mesh net for wifi and then running cameras off that seems an easier, and more cost effective option.

Any thoughts or feedback on Eufy - okay for the money? or should I try a different path?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Eufy initially store data on thr base unit then send up to cloud overseas somewhere, possibly China.

Their units aren't too bad camera wise, but privacy on stored data is a concern. Also subscription is needed after a certain storage limit.

Most cameras aren't wide angle 90deg + like past years so covering a wide front area none really perform.

Get a rough sketch of you place and then start mapping locations on it where you would place cameras. Then work through thr kit specs to work out if the kit will cover what you want captured.

Swann and other units can purely be off grid or remote viewable. But check data storage and cloud conditions

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I’ve gone down the Swann pathway (for better or for worse!). If considering Swann, have a look at their website as the pricing and range is often better than what’s available in the usual retail outlets.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
had 2 sets of Swann cameras in the past and cant say I have been happy with them. Clunky interface, and trouble setting up the motion detection - its either way too sensitive, or not enough.

Unless Swann have really improved that, I cant go another round with them.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
had 2 sets of Swann cameras in the past and cant say I have been happy with them. Clunky interface, and trouble setting up the motion detection - its either way too sensitive, or not enough.

Swann is still very painful!

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

You can get other apps that interface with any system. Some better and some worse

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
REOLINK .. for me ( 3 at our house) and the family (2 lots of kids with 2 cameras at each property)
data stays with the camera (SD card) or in ya phone (if you say to the app to keep it)

from VERY good pics and video (you can set the resolution and length of recording after sensing motion)
to
having courier/delivery man conversations to hi power lights that illuminate your front yard
they seem the best value for $ when i went and looked to buy after a car break-in

their app (allows multiple cameras) runs on your phone and the cameras link to your router (2.4 and 2.4/5G versions available)
(and work up to 30+ metres away) there is also a solar panel power option

you can get them direct from REOLINK... or Amazon or eBay, here is one

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'd avoid wireless cameras as hardwired POE cameras are the better alternative from a security perspective (since there is less software attack surface as compared to wireless). I'd also go with ONVIF compliant cameras which have a broader compatability with different NVR's and/or NVR software.

Really, getting a cheap POE router and using an old PC and available s/w as the NVR is a more secure way forward as compared to cheap OTS consumer security NVR/camera/system that are a security nightmare... Security is a big issue and lots of vendors really don't care to keep their kits updated*, Swann especially so :mad:

And one doesn't really need cloud storage for anything/everything :rolleyes:

* some think what the heck its only the camera system that is compromised but its an avenue into your network and with that into your PC/Phone where many do their banking :eek:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Security is a big issue and lots of vendors really don't care to keep their kits updated*, Swann especially so :mad:

On a somewhat related topic, on the NVR systems, the smarts are in the actual cameras (and not so much in the NVR).

Strangely, the Swann NVRs do regularly check for firmware updates. The NVR also has a ‘check for firmware updates’ function built in. But those firmware updates are only for the NVR itself (and not the cameras).

The firmware updates for the cameras needs to be done manually… (a) check the Swann website and compare the version number with the firmware in the cameras (via the NVR). And, (b) if it needs updating, download the camera firmware file/s on to a usb stick (using a computer). (c) plug the usb into the NVR then go to each individual camera and do a firmware update (via the NVR system).

The Swann system is very clunky and has some strange quirks. For example, sometimes one has to go in and out of menus to save changes. Some changes save automatically, and other setting have to be explicitly saved - it the save function might be on the previous menu.

I do whole heartedly agree - don’t go with battery powered wireless cameras. Definitely go wired if you can. Cameras will use considerable energy so the idea of battery, or rechargeable, cameras will be quite a chore (but they may be the only option in some circumstances?).

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I run a little Synology NAS/DSM at home with POE router and wired camera's. Shamefully I've been using Hikvision camera's. I started with 2MP but have been adding and upgrading to 5 and 8MP cameras via POE and use Synology Surveillance station. I have a total of 2TB of storage on the NAS with about 300GB dedicated to surveillance storage. I used to try ******* around with motion tracking and selective recording but now I just record everything and it stores it for 30 days or until the storage limit is reached. We also run a battery backup so in the event of a power cut all this stays operational for just over an hour.

I can also access the camera's and recordings from my phone.