Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hot Engine Beeps on L3 upgrades

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I have an issue with some VR/VS Lever 3 upgrades.

The hot engine beep code is chiming away. If I plug in a cluster I get this chime too. I have the orange white and pink black (via a switch) to positive and the 2 black white and grey wires to negative, to test the clusters with. Most of the 4th plugs cut from VR/VS looms dont have the extra green wire as the VN/VP units have.

Hot engine =
T1 pause (1)
T2 pause (1)
T3 pause (1) T3 pause (1) T3 pause (1) T3 pause (1)

T1 = 2560 Hz 1/8 sec
T2 = 3200 Hz 1/8 sec
T3 = 4266 Hz 1/8 sec
T4 = 6400 Hz 1/8 sec
Pause = 1/8 sec

My question is where would the cluster be getting this error code from - what would be making it go off? There is no wire for it in the L3 looms 4th plug.

I've looked over the "tripin" thread for a clue - but nothing....

NSTG8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo R8 + VX Berlina 5.7
mine did that when i retrofitted the level 3 into my Exec....until i discovered that i didnt connect the temp wire properly. once i joined that wire properly, the temp chime hasnt made a noise since.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Ive done a couple of vn/ps and used a that no 4 plug cut from a l3 equiped car and simply never connected the extra wire in that top row....never had a issue....the temp input wire to the trip computer is actually on the second row of the no 4 connector in term 12 and should be connected to the green wire on inst conn 3 term 3 of a vr/s dash loom.That wire runs back to the sender unit on the engine....it should read 280ish ohms cold ....70 to 80 mid ....and 40 ohm hot....so the lower the resistance to a short the more chance it has of triggering the chime/light and it will rechime every 60 seconds until you turn the ignition off

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ive done a couple of vn/ps and used a that no 4 plug cut from a l3 equiped car and simply never connected the extra wire in that top row....never had a issue....the temp input wire to the trip computer is actually on the second row of the no 4 connector in term 12 and should be connected to the green wire on inst conn 3 term 3 of a vr/s dash loom.That wire runs back to the sender unit on the engine....it should read 280ish ohms cold ....70 to 80 mid ....and 40 ohm hot....so the lower the resistance to a short the more chance it has of triggering the chime/light and it will rechime every 60 seconds until you turn the ignition off

Just double checked my template loom used to make the VR/VS patch looms and my green wire C4#12 goes to C3#3. I test each loom via multi-meter before fitting.

The warning lamp does not go off (flash) - just the warning chime. And the chime only sounds when the car moves off - Can sit and idle for ages - but will only sound once driving.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
sounds like the handbrake warning chime as it works if you drive off with the handbrake on not the hot engine maybe.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
sounds like the handbrake warning chime as it works if you drive off with the handbrake on not the hot engine maybe.

And then I look at this ...

Hot engine C = T1 pause (1) T2 pause (1) T3 pause (1) T3 pause (1) T3 pause (1) T3 pause (1)
Park brake C = T1 pause (1) T2 pause (1) T3 no pause T3 pause (1) T3 pause (1) T3 pause (1)

So yep look like the handbrake. I just missed the no pause bit.... Now to work out what is wrong with the handbrake for it to chime.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just spent some time looking at the handbrake wiring for the VP and Exec VS and cannot find an issue with it.

The VR/VS has the handbrake chime going off when the car is 12kph for more that 2 seconds and volts are zero (hand brake on)

So some how the L3 cluster has a zero volts reading on the hand brake circuit. Now to find it.....

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just spent some time looking at the handbrake wiring for the VP and Exec VS and cannot find an issue with it.

The VR/VS has the handbrake chime going off when the car is 12kph for more that 2 seconds and volts are zero (hand brake on)

So some how the L3 cluster has a zero volts reading on the hand brake circuit. Now to find it.....

Found it! - The first pin on the voltage regulator in the cluster was cracked. Re soldered and chime stopped.

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
Now this sounds very much like the problem I have.

Wired and fitted the cluster 2 days ago.
All gauges working and digital side of things lighting up as they should.
Went for a drive and the chime sounded at about 10- 15 klm's h. It only went off once while I drove around the block and back home.

Today I fitted the other part with the buttons (trip control panel)
Also ran the yellow black wire over to the passenger side ecu connector.

Bingo... now the other digital dash displays have meaningful readings and the mode/+/- etc all work.

Went for a drive to check things out and the chime now sounds about every minute or two.
Only does it when you are driving... not parked or idling.

Have not tried pulling the handbrake to see what happens over 5 klm/h.

Maybe this cluster also has the dreaded dry joint on the voltage regulator.

Where about is the voltage reg located?
Is it a case of dismantling the whole cluster to get at it?
Presumably it is inside on a pcb with a heatsink attached to it?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Now this sounds very much like the problem I have.

Wired and fitted the cluster 2 days ago.
All gauges working and digital side of things lighting up as they should.
Went for a drive and the chime sounded at about 10- 15 klm's h. It only went off once while I drove around the block and back home.

Today I fitted the other part with the buttons (trip control panel)
Also ran the yellow black wire over to the passenger side ecu connector.

Bingo... now the other digital dash displays have meaningful readings and the mode/+/- etc all work.

Went for a drive to check things out and the chime now sounds about every minute or two.
Only does it when you are driving... not parked or idling.

Have not tried pulling the handbrake to see what happens over 5 klm/h.

Maybe this cluster also has the dreaded dry joint on the voltage regulator.

Where about is the voltage reg located?
Is it a case of dismantling the whole cluster to get at it?
Presumably it is inside on a pcb with a heatsink attached to it?

Lightly pulling the hand brake on with button in will give you the chime. And yes lens off and speedo/tacho out to access the voltage regulator. The first pins crack where the ribbon tag plugs in. Give every joint a fresh lick of solder too while your at it. :)