Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hot Engine Beeps on L3 upgrades

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
Cool, will do, and I found your other thread about it with a picture of the PCB.

Just another question...
My son has a VR and he changed the engine and box for a VS one the other week.
Along with this they also changed the ECU so the VS motor would run and put some wiring in from the Calais that the engine came out of connecting the ECU and also allowed the gearbox connector to fit. (VR gearbox had a different plug)
Son also got the L3 dash from this VS Calais and plugged it in but no digital display comes up at all.
When I plugged my L3 cluster in to my VS exec, without hooking any other mod wires up, the digital display for the odo read ok... his does not.

Is the body control module different and does that thing have any relation to the dash cluster whether L2 or L3 or rather VR/VS?
He still has the VR BCM installed and his VR has power windows if that helps any.

His original L2 speedo is not working and he has changed the sensor that feeds signal to it with no result.
Apparently sometimes it works, but not often.
He has tried several different clusters as well.
Might be a break or bad connection in the wiring somewhere.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Cool, will do, and I found your other thread about it with a picture of the PCB.

Just another question...
My son has a VR and he changed the engine and box for a VS one the other week.
Along with this they also changed the ECU so the VS motor would run and put some wiring in from the Calais that the engine came out of connecting the ECU and also allowed the gearbox connector to fit. (VR gearbox had a different plug)
Son also got the L3 dash from this VS Calais and plugged it in but no digital display comes up at all.
When I plugged my L3 cluster in to my VS exec, without hooking any other mod wires up, the digital display for the odo read ok... his does not.

Is the body control module different and does that thing have any relation to the dash cluster whether L2 or L3 or rather VR/VS?
He still has the VR BCM installed and his VR has power windows if that helps any.

His original L2 speedo is not working and he has changed the sensor that feeds signal to it with no result.
Apparently sometimes it works, but not often.
He has tried several different clusters as well.
Might be a break or bad connection in the wiring somewhere.

The Calais BCM is different for sure. The cluster, if not showing ODO is not getting 12v from the orange wire (black white to earth) or the LCD screen has got a problem or put in upside down. Run the cluster in Diag mode to see if you can get the segments to light up.

Check continuity between the speed sensor and the purple white wire in the dash @ C2#2. That is if the cluster has a good PCB on the back - look up the speed signal tracks and follow with pen to see if it has any broken bits.

If several clusters give funny speedo readings it's the wire or dodgy speed sendsor (second hand units can be dead also) The L3 cluster gauges shuld work fine without a patch loom installed.