Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hotdog VS Resenator

TheGrimReaper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
hey there all. Recently been thinking it's about time to do something about they annoying drone from my car exhaust. I am trying to limit some but not all of the sound mostly the constant drone in fourth and the earsplitting noise when changing gears and have sometimes had to resort taking of slow to decrease noise. Current set up is extractors to high flow cat then 2.5" catback with mufferler. The drone isn't constant on some days it seems to be on and off some days but at night it's becoming unbearable and with a new cam coming later on I'm worried about noise. So my question which should I go. I don't have my original resi as the exhaust shop took it when they put exhaust on. But my mate has a hotdog that he no longer needs. As it worth putting hotdog on or going out and buying a resi what is the best option and what is the pros and cons on both.

Cheers

H

harrop.senator

Hotdog is a resonator just a compact sports version if it's a v6 2.5" catback with headers a single box muffler and hotdog works well had that exact set up in my vu before I went a twin system. I had an 18" long hotdog and it brought the volume down slightly but the drone and rumble was pretty rad.

Are you running stainless pipe or mild? I find stainless a lot more prone to drone.

NickGNB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Sedan, VY II Acclaim Wagon, Ford Territory
My VY SS had hotdogs in the middle to a single muffler that rumbled pretty well. I never noticed any drone in the cabin myself. I am looking at getting a new exhaust to go with my new motor and am planning on using hotdogs again, maybe to a varex at the back.

H

harrop.senator

I've never run a system without hotdogs or resonators myself. I've got a few of the new vf twin in twin out resonators in 2.25" pretty keen to try them out. I may end up removing the two 6x9 box mufflers in the centre of my l67 exhaust and swap it in for some more noise .

I've got an xforce twin in twin out resonator with built in balancing section inside the muffler to get the gasses equally exiting I haven't welded it in yet but I'm hoping it makes a big enough difference to pass inspection now that the cams larger.

The drone and thong slap from only running mufflers drives me crazy personally. And I found that without a resonator you always have a harmonic imbalance where it gets really loud low in the rev range and then quitens out as it goes up. Don't know enugh of exhaust theory to know what creates it but a resonator usually sorts it out. Its usually almost a highly used rpm range like 2200-2800 also it's very annoying.

But when you get your exhaust done man see if you can fit the resonator at the end of the exhaust. Factory almost always puts them in the middle but I've found that the further you put it up the exhaust system the larger difference it makes.