Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hothouse green paint????

Maxpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vyS
Having a bit of an issue finding hot house green paint , in a can with a lid or aerosol at regular auto supplies. I had the dick at supercheap asshol3 try tell me tropicana is the same colour, but I beg to differ. Has anyone had to do this with them nasty spray cans and how did they turn , touch ups I mean. I only wanna do two spots I'm taking rust spots off the surface from on the inside of either door, so it's only small incognito areas. Or a better option would be where can I buy a litre or two of the colour? Cheers in advance

Maxpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vyS
Yeah mate I did , they had tropicana as the hothouse paint code too. It is real similar but is a more vibrant metallic to look at, bit of a pita but I will get onto it. I really prefer not to buy from ebay, it's to nameless , faceless type of thing. Like who's ear will I stick the can in the repeatedly punch it there, if the colours are wrong as ferk or fry up on existing work. I'm trying a couple of places today, I got one mixed custom at repco but it's not even close. I may just pay to get this one done in the end

Wagon92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Even a paint shop will struggle to match it hey, its now had about 13 years of wear even if it is on the inside panel, I tried for ages to get the exact colour for mine and the closest I could get wasn't very close, I was only using it to paint my engine cover so didn't really matter so i just used it anyway

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Frying or mismatch isn't always to do with the paint, but the painter. There are too many factors that change the colour and consistency of the paint. 'Frying' is a result of incompatibility of paint systems or contamination. Aerosol paint isn't a good idea. It'll look horrible and the touch up will look worse than the chips did originally.

Better off taking it to someone to get it painted properly. Otherwise, if bare metal is exposed, you could drop a dab of clear acrylic topcoat into the chip to prevent rusting, just until you can have it repaired properly.

Maxpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vyS
Yeah mate I spent 6 years as an industrial spray painter at mt thorley, so I'm pretty capable in rust removal and reapplying small areas of paint , as well as blending onto existing finishes. I seen a few chaps upon this forum with a few stone chips or some shite, spraypaint a whole guard and THEN are here asking how they can get it like the rest " because even though I put the clear on , it's still not shiny like the rest" type retards. So I do understand why you were explaining that it may be an operator issue, have also painted my fair share of kings woods and toranas for my self and friends in the past. Man aerosol is good for indigenous and houseo kids to huff, I just thought I would take a stab in the dark and see if anything had improved in the past few years in the colour matching/ touch up side of things. Yeah I have sealed up the two areas and the more I look into it the more I may just pay someone to do it, then I can biatch at them when it ain't right.

skynyrd

Reaction score
Members Ride
vys ute
I got a spray can from Autopro & got them to make it a bit lighter, less black in the mix.