Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How can i fix this?

05 Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais RB25 turbo, VS Calais
hey guy's I was just wondering if there's a painters secret to fixing this kind of problem.. When I look at it I think 'yep full re-spray due' but is there another way?? The paint is cracked and starting to lift. I don't know anything about painting but it seems to me like it may have been bogged up before and not done properly or something..

20130705_141431_zpscd303302.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130705_141436_zps715ee7b6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The first one is above the rear drivers side door and the second is above the drivers side door. On the roof obviously.
This is a VL Calais if it matters to you.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Cheers guys

Joe

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
geez! was it flipped? or maybe a taxi?

thats pretty bad dude, sorry but not gonna sugar-coat it. all that bog is gonna have to come off and the rust underneath dealt with properley. aint no other way as far as i know, but should wait till one of the pro's jumps on and gives you their 2 cents.

the roof is the biggest prick of the whole car to repair. id be close to saying "its not worth repairing" but if its your baby and you got time on your hand then well:

strip off the chome moulds
remove front and rear screens/rubbers
strip the inner roof lining off (which basically means strip the interior)
paint strip the whole thing front to back till every last speck of bog and paint is gone
wizzy till your fingers bleed
rust converter, then wizzy again then rust converter again
try and knock out as much of the dent as you can. but i get this horrible feeling that there may be holes under there for roof racks or something. if thats the case then weld the suckers up.
bog/sand sand sand sand
prep/prime/paint
re-assemble.

fkn massive job

edit* just had a thought that it could be a shitty hail-stone repair. in which case, knocking out the dents shouldnt be too difficult. but yoiu still need to do all of the above.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i concur with all the above....

and judging by the paint edge on the windscreen trim the glass never came out. so this is a full glass out job as well man...

05 Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep i had thought this would be the case.. Might be better off finding a better body then swapping everything over ay? seems like it would be bout the same amount of work..
Thanks fellas :)

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Yep i had thought this would be the case.. Might be better off finding a better body then swapping everything over ay? seems like it would be bout the same amount of work..
Thanks fellas :)

before you scrap the car drop the headliner down and inspect the inside of the skin to see how lumpy it is. may only be those 2 spots you have to wrestle with. either that or the whole underside could look like tumors... pretend its an easter egg hunt.

05 Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea the rest of the roof appears to be good. But that could mean they just did a better job that side.. Cheers for the advice guys. Really appreciate it