Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How can I tell if I have a VF Series 2?

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
If it is a series 1 VF V8, another way to tell, is the car has so little power, the engine can't turn the wheels. Only an LS3 can power a Commodore successfully in V8 form or so I have read on the internet.
Haha, but should it be stock, you're more likely to find out how good your hearing is with the LS3..

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
VFII will use a lot more fuel and make more noise, one way you can tell it is not the speedo but behind that there is with a little farty noise behind the dash. Helps justify paying the extra in fuel to go just as fast as previous model.
There's also a slimline box of wet wipes near the OBD port for the intimate moments contemplating the virility of an LS3.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
LS3 is a stronger, longer-lasting engine. It's slightly larger cubic capacity means yeah it'll use a poofteenth more fuel in a way nobody will notice in the real world.
Any delusions about an L76 or L77 being as good are ... delusional.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
LS3 is a stronger, longer-lasting engine. It's slightly larger cubic capacity means yeah it'll use a poofteenth more fuel in a way nobody will notice in the real world.
Any delusions about an L76 or L77 being as good are ... delusional.
Mate it would seem you are delusional. Where exactly do you dream the engine designation makes a difference to longevity, in mechanical terms like Minimum Time Before Failure please?
Cruising at 2k rpm on the highway coz gears and bigger capacity, and more aggressive tune (still no faster) will use more fuel vs exact same engine with higher gears, built specifically to reduce pumping losses from cam to tune.
Bottom line is an L77 with more valve lift eats an LS3. LS3 sounds louder and makes more effort as it revs harder (less efficient) big deal.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
And another thread turns to crap due to totally unrelated and irrelevant wanking.

Is it really so hard to keep on topic and leave the egos out of it guys?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
And another thread turns to crap due to totally unrelated and irrelevant wanking.

Is it really so hard to keep on topic and leave the egos out of it guys?
Ah, it's NYE, lighten up pal!
Silly question, you deserve to be the piñata if you are seriously taking it seriously?
Else seriously, without wanking, answer the question and contribute!!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Lighten up? Exactly how does the crap about on V8 versus another contribute to the theme of the thread? Answer? It doesn't - not one bit.

When you've been a member of this forum for a long time you get fed up with fools derailing threads with their worthless and irrelevant "contributions" and pud pulling.

There's your answer.

Leave the wanking for the classroom.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Haha, how does whinging about whinging about engine designations being poofteenth better than each other bother you so? Or contribute to the noble quest of the thread?
You seem fed up just with the slightest bit of relevant debate as to whether one Commodore engine has merits over another - the core difference (a fact held fait au compli by most members new or otherwise) as OP has queried.
OP was asking a question answered in the handbook or VIN lookup or under the bonnet. Taken at face-value it seems you are a grumpy stick-in-the-mud by the jaded, ignorant and interruptive berating nature and context of your response. Surely you have earnt a fraction of ridicule? Last wank of 2016!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Sorry pir4te, but I will disagree with you here.....
I have done many trips between home and Lakes Entrance, approx. 740kms round trip.
MY12 Redline ute, auto versus MY12.5 Maloo, auto.....
The ute's are usually laden one way....
I keep records of fuel used.
Redline, 11.3l/100kms.
Maloo, 10.4l/100kms.

I think I'll trade the Redline for a new one, just for the LS3!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Sorry pir4te, but I will disagree with you here.....
I have done many trips between home and Lakes Entrance, approx. 740kms round trip.
MY12 Redline ute, auto versus MY12.5 Maloo, auto.....
The ute's are usually laden one way....
I keep records of fuel used.
Redline, 11.3l/100kms.
Maloo, 10.4l/100kms.

I think I'll trade the Redline for a new one, just for the LS3!
Fascinating it's that close but I guess that's with the same ute gears, stock tune. I suggest your Redline could do with a tune, broaden the AFM to suit your driving.
VFII SS sedans are of course geared lower than VFI SS, and the tune is much more economical because of AFM.