Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How can i tell if my oil pump is on its way out?

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
Hey guys, gots a question, how can i tell if my oil pump is on its way out? when i start my car up it seems 2 have alot of ticking noises coming from the engine *only when cold tho* kinda like low oil pressure this goes away afer 30 seconds. also i've started too hear a squeeking coming from my engine when i start it up in the morning.
could this be my oil pump?
cheers

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
If you have low oil pressure.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
when was the last oil/filter change? what grade of oil do you use? how long does the oil light stay on when you start the car?

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
ticking sound is more likely to be your lifters... thell be lound until oil heats and reaches them to make less noise. I have noisey lifters... might have to put a stop to that i think....

If you oil light is coming on for prolonged periods then sure, start thinking about it.

aZk.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
no oil light. Tho mind you i ALWAYS get a engine Warning light if i'm driving for more then 5mins at a constant RPM and a Consant speed. Im not 2 sure on how 2 do a check on what it is. but if when it comes on i put my foot 2 the floor the engine warning light goes off.
I use Castrol 20-50 *I THINK* just the standard grade of oil. I know that my rings are screwd in the car...half the time when i start it, it puffs a grey cloud of smoke once the oil starts thining out and i need 2 do a service again.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The squeaking noise could be a pulley bearing on its way out and if your oil pressure is low I'd more suspect a partially blocked oil pickup filter in the sump. The engine light on is 'probably' transmission related and the puff of smoke when starting is usually oil leaking down the valve stems when the engine is off due to worn or hardened valve stem oil seals.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
The squeaking noise could be a pulley bearing on its way out and if your oil pressure is low I'd more suspect a partially blocked oil pickup filter in the sump. The engine light on is 'probably' transmission related and the puff of smoke when starting is usually oil leaking down the valve stems when the engine is off due to worn or hardened valve stem oil seals.

yeah i've had some major probs with my tranny. how can i fix my pickup filter? also ho expensive is it 2 fix the leak?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If it is a partially blocked oil pickup filter then you need to remove the sump to access and for the oil leaking down the valve stems there are 3 methods - one is remove heads and instal new valve oil seals...two is to pump compressed air into each cylinder thru the sparkplug hole to hole the valve up whilst you remove the valve spring to enable the seal to be slid over valve stem....third is to fabricate a piece of bent rod that you stick in the plug hole to hold up the valve so you can remove the spring. Others are to fill the combustion chamber with string/cord or whatever so you can compress the valve spring.
My feeling are that if you are not going to keep the car for 'years' then leave it as is ....there is nothing to gain except getting rid of that puff of smoke on starting.
The trans problem is probably your biggest worry I'd reckon.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
Yeah well i've got a bit of history with my tranny...stoped working for 7months and then starting working again. took it in too get serviced and they said i had a whole heap of metal filings in the tranny sump
my car seems 2 lost alot of top end power and in 1st gear it slips from 4.5grand 2 almost 6 grand when planting it. also it seems 2 be draging out the gears in 1st almost to
3grand when taking off with light acceleration when really it shuld be changing at no more then 2

of course u dont know the exact condition of my box but do u know if there is anyway 2 fix this...like tuning it or tighting the belts or whatever they do
cheers