Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How can you make a VL actually handle?

Reaction score
or will they never, no matter what you do?

all the front bushes have been replaced with nolathane, I'm yet to do the rears.

what springs would people suggest in a WAGON, to make it handle?

does anyone know of a good website that can be used to calculate spring rates based on a vehicles weight, and weight distrobution?

and does anyone make actual sports/performance springs that will fit the VL's?

thanks!

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
New adjustable strut tops, new stiffer springs, new shocks (if the springs are lowered make sure the shocks are as well) and a strut brace under the hood.

Will make it feel better than new.

Reaction score
New adjustable strut tops, new stiffer springs, new shocks (if the springs are lowered make sure the shocks are as well) and a strut brace under the hood.

Will make it feel better than new.

yes, but what performace springs are there?

apparently the STANDARD pedders shocks are pretty hard, so there sports shocks I assume may be a good place to look for shocks.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
there are heaps of shocks and springs available for different applications fora vl, if you can give a better description of your vl setup what you want your vl to do I'm sure some body will offer some suggestions, I will start with you need minimum sized tyre width of 205+, so something like 205/60/15etc...

Reaction score
there are heaps of shocks and springs available for different applications fora vl, if you can give a better description of your vl setup what you want your vl to do I'm sure some body will offer some suggestions, I will start with you need minimum sized tyre width of 205+, so something like 205/60/15etc...

I want it to handle around bends, I live in the hills, I don't want to die.

I have 205/65? 15's, I think. they're really too big, stupid tyre place are a bunch of idiots.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
i wouldn't say 65 is to big, they will have a bit more roll in them when cornering, at the moment it sounds like you have a standard setup so they look the part, lower profile now would look a bit silly, if your going to lower the car then go lower profile tyres 55/60's

Reaction score
i wouldn't say 65 is to big, they will have a bit more roll in them when cornering, at the moment it sounds like you have a standard setup so they look the part, lower profile now would look a bit silly, if your going to lower the car then go lower profile tyres 55/60's

the tyres are a fair bit larger than stock rolling diameter.

I don't care what it looks like, but the tyres are larger than stock, which throws the speedo off, and decreases torque (while increasing the theoritical top speed, which it'll never get to anyway)

maxpower QLD

has mild super powers
Reaction score
Members Ride
Xtrail/5spd VL
Ok a stupid question , what would be the better bushes to use ,URETHANE (the blue ones) or . . . . NOLATHANE (the red ones)

Cheers

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
or will they never, no matter what you do?

all the front bushes have been replaced with nolathane, I'm yet to do the rears.

what springs would people suggest in a WAGON, to make it handle?

does anyone know of a good website that can be used to calculate spring rates based on a vehicles weight, and weight distrobution?

and does anyone make actual sports/performance springs that will fit the VL's?

thanks!

Call Quadrant Bilstein in Berwick (Victoria). They have decades of experience setting up Commodore suspensions right back to the start. I run them in my VP and am exceptionally happy.

Reaper