Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how can you tell what steering rack you have

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
have a vn calais 1990 v8, thinking that this is already been changed - how would one tell if its a vn or updated to newer one..:hmmm:

why im asking is that a inner tie rod end is lose and wanting to replace but do not want to order a vn new part to find its another vp or something and the rod won't work....:blah blah:

cheers

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
also will i need a special tool to get the inner rod out on these racks, or can i get at the jamming nut etc easily??

jdodd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Berlina
no special tool needed, just use your wits and don't be rough, im sure vn & vp are the same. don't think there is a way to tell what rack is what.

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
ok people - changed the inner tie rod end today - dozen stella artois later, job well done..........

two things needed - for me was 22mm spanner and one big adjustable cresent (as i didnt own a big enough spanner)

take wheel off - take boot off, MARK old tie rod for a reference later (lucky i did, little drunk and forgot how many turns) - turn off.

The other end has a locking washer folded over the end of the tie rod - belt this off so the spanner or adjustable gets on and turn that off.........

If your boot is stuff good time to replace - and while your getting new rod best get a new locking washer as when you bash the other old one off it gets a bit ruined, saved time and hassels.

so then put everything together, and make sure you get a wheel alignment stright away - other wise your be up for a set of tyre before you no it - no matter how much you measure !!!

any way, thats what i sorta done