Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do I change diff gears

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
changing diff gears
Hi I was wondering if anyone can explain to me exactly how to change your diff gears yourself and what tools are required?
The reason I ask is that I have a spare diff and the gears I want in it 4.11 (for a vn v6 non irs) and I got qutoed $800 for it .....
I can see how a diff could be so difficult, I have rebuilt an engine before but thought I should ask you guys first.
so what should I know?

cheers Adam

BrianH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECUTIVE
It is easy with the right training and tools but without both, forget it. I overhauled a dozen or so while working for a Toyota dealer back in the 1980s. You start by removing the axles and the cover plate. The next step is to bolt a spreader onto the housing and as you tighten it, it distorts the housing enabling you to lift the centre out. The rest is much the same as any other diff. If you are really keen to try then look into buying the special tools and a factory workshop manual. With that you might be able to get it right the first time but it would not surprise me if it worked out cheaper to spend the $800 and get a professional to do it.

Brian

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
ditto on what brian said...

lol .. theres a reason these blokes charge a bit more than what you'd pay for an oil change for work like this