Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Do i Change The Coolant

MY-42-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VT Commodore
Well its been 30,000 since i baught the commodore and i wanna change the coolant... but how? haha

where is the drain plug...if they have one?

there was another thread exactly the same in the VZ section i asked there and they didn't even help they just told me to come here and start the same thread....snobbing pricks just cause they own newer car then me

so yeah...how?:bang:

99VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz sv6
I think perhaps because a question of this nature is so easily solved with typing it into google.

MY-42-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VT Commodore
yea but thats gay plus there are always tips that people with experience will know that google will never know thats why i ask for tips on here mate, anyone can go to google and find out what they gotta do... besides thats just un-social going onto google lol

DVS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
Well its been 30,000 since i baught the commodore and i wanna change the coolant... but how? haha

where is the drain plug...if they have one?

there was another thread exactly the same in the VZ section i asked there and they didn't even help they just told me to come here and start the same thread....snobbing pricks just cause they own newer car then me

so yeah...how?:bang:

This guide will help you out https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-flush-v6-cooling-system.28762

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Drop the bottom radiator hose, let it drain out. Take the most front heater hose off the water pump (make sure heater is turned to full, car still off) connect a garden hose and blast it, until it flows clear. Leave the hose off.
Remove the engine cover thingo, and at the thermostat housing undo your bleeder valve.
Use an old radiator hose to seal the radiator but act as a funnel (so the highest air point is now your radiator), start filling with genuine coolant, until it comes out the heater hose, fit the heater hose, this just helps get out alot more air. Keep filling until you get a consistent flow out the blleder valve then nip that up.
Run car with rad cap off, and let it get to temperate and fill as required.

You can use compressed air to get the remaining water/coolant out of the block before filling it up if you feel its neccasary.
Also you can fit the radiator hose before starting to fill, I just do it this way for less chance of air getting in the system.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Bugger theres a work guide, I didnt need to type all that :p

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
To drop it all you need to take off the knock sensors behind the sump, but no need. Just fill and flush untill clear. When filling, disconnect the hose from the thermostat housing and fill into that hose, that way the whole radiator and block gets filled up and water will trickle out from the housing as there is a little hole next to the thermostat, when it runs out of the housing, out the hose back on. Then run till a lil warm and open the screw on top of the housing and bleed it a few times for a week. If the system is properly sealed when you bleed it it will suck water from the reservoir, so top up in there but dont over fill it as it counter balances and throws out water from the overflow. SMall top ups from the radiator filler but try to use the radiator filler as least as possible to keep the air out.

Also if changing the thermostat, go for a high flow thermo (Tridon have them) with the original factory setting. It does the same thing as a cooler one, but still runs in sync with the radiator fans and ECU.

Last edited:

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
enybody got pics of where these knock sensors are

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
If your removing the knock sensors to drain coolant theres no point. Its next to impossible to remove without a hoist and isnt worth it for the extra litre you get out if that. You would be better to spray compressed air down and try and blow the rest of it out, alot easier.