Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do i change water pump/ harmonic balancer??

joeyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN EXEC
hi peeps,

ive got an issue, my engines been squeaky for weeks now, ive been told it could be one of two things, or both, only thing is i could really do with a very basics step by step of how to change these two parts....i only know very very basics.....please please please help me i like my holden running smooth....

could be...

1. water pump is loose and the inner bearing is shot, the noise is the pump slowly eating metal..(how do i check??/)

or

2.harmonic balancer- there could be a bit of rubber coming apart inside it (WHAT DOES THE HARMONIC BALANCER LOOK LIKE?)

as always much appreciated guys..

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Take off the drive belt and turn the alternator, waterpump, power steering pump and the tensioner pully by hand and see if they feel OK, see if they have play in them. Also with the belt on put a large screwdriver up against each one and put the handle against your ear and you can hear what's going on inside.
Harmonic balancer unless it's got split rubber and/or is out of true don't need to change it it can't make any noises unless it's running out of true and hitting something as it rotates.

kitted vp

project vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted vp exec wagon
mine was the same and it was the water pump! remove the belt and grab the water pump pulley with both hands and give it a wriggle! if it knocks from side to side or up and down even slightly theres your prob! shot bearing!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Harmonic Balancer, the large diameter pulley at the bottom of the engine. Has (approx) 25mm retaing bolt that can be a real cow to loosen and remove. Suggest you have a workshop/mechanic do that job for you. Will ultimately save youself a lot of damage, time and money.

joeyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN EXEC
hi guys,

ive taken off the belt, the water pump pulley doesnt seem to be rattling at all or moving at all but when i rotate it it doesnt turn for very long by itself (not like the generator pully), with the harmonic balancer, this doesnt rotate at all, is this right? the rubber is wearing a tiny tiny bit on the edge, and also moves ever so slightly if i push it around...

what do you mean by out of true by the way?

please help....if it is the harmonic balancer is this something urgent that MUST be changed soon?

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Sounds like you need to track down your noise first.

Does it change with a change in engine speed?

Have you tried using a long screwdriver and put one end need the part you suspect and your ear to the other end? (Use care!)

The harmonic balancer should flex a little bit but not lots and the rubber should be in one piece.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
hi guys,

ive taken off the belt, the water pump pulley doesnt seem to be rattling at all or moving at all but when i rotate it it doesnt turn for very long by itself (not like the generator pully), with the harmonic balancer, this doesnt rotate at all, is this right? the rubber is wearing a tiny tiny bit on the edge, and also moves ever so slightly if i push it around...

what do you mean by out of true by the way?

please help....if it is the harmonic balancer is this something urgent that MUST be changed soon?

Water pump won't spin freely as it's got an impeller and that is immersed in water! Harmonic balancer is connected to the crank it won't turn by hand. Did you do/read what I said to do the other day??

joeyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN EXEC
im pretty sure its the harmonic balancer now as i read a few other posts about how when you're doing 80-100 kmh the noise stops and thats exactly what mines doing...

what i need to know is should i change it asap or can i wait, i need to drive sydney- melbourne in next few days!!! ah...

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
I wouldn't wait... when my harmonic balancer packed up I was in norwood and drove the 15km home so I wouldn't need a tow. Mechanic I rang up thought that was insane to do, so yeah Melbourne to Sydney is probably a bad idea

joeyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN EXEC
well i just got back from a 1300 km drive and the noise is still goin, im pretty sure its the HB, but would it have lasted that whole drive......should the car still be going? it is......