Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I remove the door off the wifes VZ.

brumbypt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I need to replace the drivers door that she wrecked, I noticed that there is a pin on each hinge, but its flanged at the bottom.

do i just hit it up or do I have to squeeze the 2 halves together first then tap it up some how..

and where are the plugs for the electrics, in the door or kick panel

and how many screws do I need to remove from the door handles etc, before I start pulling off the inside panel.

the other thing I need to swap over is the mirror, how do I do that.?

SV6 P-Plater

Dont Speed In Surbubia
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
There should be a little rubber cap on the pins best way to do it is something that will sit flat on the bottom of the pin, like a piece of wood or flat steel and all you have to do is hit up on leverage, a shifter will do it.
But don't forget to undo the check strap and unplug the wires in the pillar first, the plugs just in the rubber cover in the pillar.

There's a few screws on the door trim mostly all on the bottom and sides and there's 2 in the inside handle.
I think three on the bottom and maybe 3-4 on the sides. You'll know when its ready to come off.

For the the mirror there's just a little trim covering the inside of the door with a clip (small triangle piece with little vents) and the screws for the mirror are just behind it.

adamcawood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
There will also be a screw behind the door lock so you pop the red tab out of the lock and then pull it up carefull not to break the tab and test the door handle before closing door it won't be fun if it doesn't open back up

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Those doors are pretty heavy so I would suggest using a trolley jack placed under the door to take the weight when you remove the pins . Put a bit of wood between the jack and door to spread the weight.

brumbypt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well I changed the door today thanks for your help..

I made a tool to bang out the pins, although they are bent too so they will need replacing one day..

I used my gantry to hold the weight of the door to take it off, then gantry and wife to help put the new door one, well to hold it in place while I hit the pins back in.

Pretty straight forward job.

THanks again for your help.

Peter,
iPad with IOS 7.0.6 using Tapatalk HD

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Next time go and get a door pin removal tool, makes it a piece of p1ss with no damage.

brumbypt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The tool that I made, made the job really easy, it didnt bend the pins, the accident bent the pins...

THe tool was made out of 20mm pipe with a "V" cut into one of the edges. Slip the "V" onto the pin then either hit up or down depending which pin.

reverse the pipe for tapping the pins back in.

the pipe was about 40cm long.

made the job really easy and it was free, sort of.

Peter,
iPad with IOS 7.0.6 using Tapatalk HD