Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how get the front rottor off a vt

mantice

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore
hey im still learning this site
can any one please help me im trying to get the front disk off my 98 vt commodore it has ABS
but im having a bit of trubble. Do i just bash the C**P out of then to get them off or is their a nut i need to remove them

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
rubber mallet or copper 1 an give it a good hit maybe sum crc or what ever on the middle of the hub.It will come off .Some also have threaded holes where you can screw some bolts in to get them off 8mm i think

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
After you remove the caliper they should just about fall off but sometimes the are rusted to the hubs and require some help, some WD40 and a hammer, using a block of wood to protect the rotor from the hammer.

mantice

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore
thanks guys i tryed that an still no go dose it have something to do with the 3 nuts holdding the disk were the plate is do i neede to take them off to

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
there shouldnt be anything holding it on i susspect those bolts you are talking about are the threaded holes i mention in my 1st post someone may have left the bolts they used to get it off in there. sorry if this dosent make sense but i am **** at taking whats in my head an putting into words

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
IF they are the same as a VS,you can remove the hub assembly and the disc together by undoing the 3 allen head bolts that hold the hub assembly to the steering knuckle.Ive removed them like this.I found it easier to remove the discs then as they get corroded onto the hub.When you fit the new discs.Sparingly use some anti seizing compound on the hubs and around the centre of the new discs.This will save you having the same dramas if you ever need to take them off again later on.

mantice

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore
thank guys ill try that if i break them i still got the new ones lol

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
Mate a big hit will get them off. Dont be scared because as others have said sometimes they rust on. Block of wood...remove fingers and give it a solid whack.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
on my non-abs VT, the rotors have 3 x small threaded holes in them. You use the small bolts from the ends of the caliper and thread them into one or two of the holes. As you tighten them they will lever off the rotor.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
Mine were corroded onto the hub. A small block of wood driven between the disc and the steering arm a bit at a time, rotating the disc 45 degrees each time got mine loose.