Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How is your VZ going so far?

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
I have read up a hell of a lot regarding commodore reliability, but these posts were years ago, and Im more interested in seeing how these VY's and VZ's are going now.

PHaSR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LUMINA
I've owned my VZ for 3 years. 2005 Lumina. I was the 3rd owner, 1st was a rental business in QLD and then an indonesian entrepreneur which I bought it off privately.
I paid $13000 for it with approx 80,000km on the clock.
I travel approx 50km daily to and from work mainly freeway plus country trips/holidays and get approx 10L/100km.

It had a water leak since I bought it which proved very problematic to pinpoint.(even from holden several times!)
it has cost me a water pump, seals, I had it to 4 mechanic's including 2 holden shops, on the water side of things I have had 3 minor overheats trying to pinpoint the problem with losing water. finally Ultra tune(Iknow theyre expensive, but its right across the road from where I work) found the leak (it was on the join between the radiator and the plastic tanks) I left it until the radiator failed and just replaced the whole radiator.
since that repair, there have been no leaks and the car runs brilliantly. it has been better and better everytime I have had a repair done, but now that the water leak is finally gone, it is great, I cannot recommend the VZ highly enough, it is good bang for buck.
Other mechanical repairs I have done including all scheduled services are rear main seal, machined brakes, and all of the general maintenance **** that goes with owning any car.

It is now ready for 180,000 km service, and I am actually dreading putting it in, not because they will find something wrong, but because I risk someone tinkering with what is a stable car with no issues. Really considering doing the oil changes and basic **** myself from now on, but it could do with a tune up tho and I like my weekends to do other ****, Id rather have someone fix it while I'm at work.

My view would be that they are really great cars if they have been looked after and had reliable work done on them(like anything abuse it and it will abuse you back), but there are so many dodgy mechanical joints that you need to have a mechanic you can trust. If you have that, then once you get it to a stable setup, it will stay that way with pretty minimal maintenance. Getting what you buy to that point is the hard bit.(this goes for any 2nd hand purchase tho.)

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
I have owned my car for 18 months, my dad owned it for 2 years before me, the only issues i have had is a very minor water leak, losing about 200mls over 6 months from a leaking pipe. and the rotors were warped at 92,000

The car is now at 150,000 having upgraded the brakes to c5 pbrs on the front and upgrading the stereo the only other fault is the direct injection lpg kit i have one it causes the computer to trip and sometimes the car doesnt start in the morning first go.

average 12l/100 combined highway/peak hour westgate traffic on gas
on petrol average 10.5 on 98 same driving

tom99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I recently upgraded from a VT S to a VZ SV6.

Overall, very positive. The car is clearly not upmarket but for a 2006 model year car it is great overall. Ive driven plenty of VE's and inside they feel really cheap and nasty, I think my red SV6 feels nicer inside and out than VE's.

I think the Alloytec engine is a very nice motor. Sure its not super powerful down low but if you are already moving on the roll it really does go very quickly. I like the sound too. Ive driven plenty of BA-FG Falcon 6's and the general view is that those are better engines, yet, they really feel like they have less top end to me. Of course its not the most amazing engine ever, but its a very good motor.

My car had 67,000 on it when I got it and ive got it up to 75,000 now. No problems at all mechanically. The thing drives like brand new. For the money a decent SV6 will set you back (10-15k for a low km example) if you can find one that is owned by a older person and treated well then they are a bargain.

I usually get 10-11L/100km when driving mixed driving. Lately ive been driving just around town and thrashing it and its in the mid 14's. But I honestly couldn't really drive it harder if I tried.

Problems? The center console looks a bit dated. My electric aerial doesn't go all the way down and the sound system probably could be better. But thats about it really. For the money if you get a well looked after one its hard to go past them.

Above all, I think it looks great too.

tom99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Question: How is your VZ going so far?

My understanding of your question is realted to fuel economy. I find that a light right foot on the accelerator and minimum braking, this can be achieved by reading the traffic in front and allowing ample distance between vehicles to avoid having to constantly use the brake. Remember each time you apply the brake it takes additional fuel to regain the speed you just wiped off.
I generally average about 12 litres per 100km around town and as low as 7.8 on the highway.

Mid 7's is realistic on the freeway. It will sometimes drop down into the 6's with no air condition and if you have cruise on.

If you do combined driving 10's is easily achievable in a SV6.

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
yea pretty good infact mechanically it is great even with 185k on the clock. Im a mechanic so do all the work on it i buy parts for trade price through holden so in the end the only hassle is me finding time to fix it. its a 05 vz exec

Things iv replaced-

1 water pump
the o rings in upper radiator hose inlet
1 radiator cap
2 hose clamps- 1 for each hose at LHR of engine
that emissions hose that runs from the throttle body then under the manifold
the diff was replaced 5k after i bought it under warranty (a dud batch of pinion bearings according to holden tech)
1 radiator
LHR control arm and bushes (inner bit just bent slightly one day out of the blue going over a speed bump)
Slight oil leak from timing cover just removed bolts added sealant to ends and refitted all good now

Good points-

Gearbox is so smooth and good now and better at 185k than when i bought it at 50k probably coz iv serviced it twice using dex 5 sythentic auto oil expensive but awesome
Engine is smooth as runs great has never let me down, doesnt use any oil between services ( change oil every 7500, used magnatc 5 40w for 4 years while working for council (free hehe) now only use penrite hpr5 5 40w synthetic
diff well i replaced the thin 80 90w oil with 85 140w about a year ago will check again soon
i took my car to fulcrum for a general check and quotes on rear cradle bushes and shockies, bloke said for the amount of kays hes not seen all the z bar, strut top and everything in front of any vehicle in suh good condition. i always drive it nicely
On fuel its pretty damn good always has been

Personally id get another vz i actually wish i got a lumina or svz. vz's are smooth and nice to drive and the interior arent to bad i like the layout.

Hope this helps

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Dex5? I think you mean Dex6?

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Had car for 3 years & put about 90000klm on her.
Replaced Radiator
Replaced Oil Pressure Sender
Replaced About 2 Radiator Caps
Now Warning Has Come Up Again Telling Me To Replace O2 Sensors

But can't complain has been pretty good so far (touch wood)

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged Series II VY.
I've had a whole lot of commodores, and have never had any major problems. My 2005 VZ was my first expensive car, with any sort of 'high tech' engine. So far, excellent. Definitely a different feel to the car, imo, but smooth and reliable. Only had it for about 3 months, and a few thousand kms though. Only issue I've had was the car getting hot, and needed to bleed the radiator - worked fine afterwards, and still going strong from that 5 minute task.