Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Low Should I Go ??

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
My S ute had standard non FE2 but from what I see of SS's with FE2 they still appear to sit to high. It's obviously due to the fact that they are built to carry a load. Holden like most manufacturers doesnt like to waste good money on quality suspension set-ups.
As far as ride goes, it is now far superior to FE2 or non FE2 or anything else commodore for that matter. In my opinion the FE2 has never been a good set-up anyway. My father has an Acclaim fitted with FE2 and its ok on a smooth road but throw a few bumps in and it turns to crap fairly quickly.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
well i can't really comment on the difference between my suspension and yours (not that im doubting your opinion) but i know the FE2 is a damn sight better than non FE2 .... and yes i agree about it sitting to high .....

stock ute suspension is high all round, FE2 lowers the front about one inch from what i have seen, however the rear stays the same height just harder suspension.

this is my ute before the springs, as you can see, higher in the rear. (this is FE2)
ute-before.jpg

then with the King Springs LOW option in the rear.
ute-after.jpg

i agree it could do with being a bit lower however due to practicality reasons i didn't want to go any further!

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
It's amazing how much better it looks with the rear lowered a bit. I'll try and get some pics of mine over the weekend and post them so you can have a look.
I specifically asked for a set-up that would not have me taking the front out on spoon drains or speed humps and steep driveways etc. It has been lowered quite a bit and I haven't had any of these issues yet and I have made a point of trying it out...
Looks like you do a bit of dirt road driving, in which case it is probably a safer bet keeping things a bit higher off the ground.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
nah not dirt roads, i just work in the mines so theres alot of dust and crap around, ad that to a 1 hr drive to work in the rain and you get the above result ....

im slack arn't i, i didn't even wash it for the pic :)

a pic of yours would be great, i'd love to see the height difference between them.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Looking good sammy... Nice ride..

I will go the king springs i think.. i want to go 1 inch lower than FE2, just so it sits a little better :)

V

VY2SSUTE

Yea I paid $300 for 4 super low king springs difference in handling and driving was phenomenal, I think its lowered 1.5in front 3.5 rear looks mad, handles mad u have to trim the bump stops in the standard shocks when fitting
Cheers

digitok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
Needs to be lower :p

I got King Ultralows in my VT, but when I sell up to get a VT LS1, I plan on going a tiny bit lower..

Cheers

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
I went back over the specs for the suspension on my ute and it was dropped 50mm at the front (close to 2inches) and 67mm at the rear which is around 2.5inches. Pictures are attached...hopefully although its not looking too hopeful as I go to submit the reply.