Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many liters to the 100kms

Nicks VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
Does anybody know the optimum cruzing speed for fuel economy. This is just a getting to know your car thing, as I'm new to the alloytec engine. Obviously wouldn't do it on the freeway with one_and_only2004 sitting behind me. :)

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
I hear people say this all the time - how do you and others get an accurate reading?

You fill up to completely full, reset the trip meter, drive till you need fuel and then write down your kms. Fill up completely once again. Say you get 500km out of 50l that's 10l/100km.

Most accurate way ever.

Does anybody know the optimum cruzing speed for fuel economy. This is just a getting to know your car thing, as I'm new to the alloytec engine. Obviously wouldn't do it on the freeway with one_and_only2004 sitting behind me. :)

100km/h - unless it's a 110 area then it's 110km/h.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
You fill up to completely full, reset the trip meter, drive till you need fuel and then write down your kms. Fill up completely once again. Say you get 500km out of 50l that's 10l/100km.

Most accurate way ever.

Actually, I don't think it is you can have a variance of a "full" tank of quite a bit.

See Mythbusters doing these type of tests - they will always use their own custom tank.

Speaking of, Mythbusters recently did an economy test - you can get quite a variance based on a few factors and driving at particular speeds can effect the outcome as well.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Actually, I don't think it is you can have a variance of a "full" tank of quite a bit.

See Mythbusters doing these type of tests - they will always use their own custom tank.

Speaking of, Mythbusters recently did an economy test - you can get quite a variance based on a few factors and driving at particular speeds can effect the outcome as well.

Presently my ute thinks I'll get 1180kms out of the 40l of e85 in the tank, it also believes I sit at around 8l/100 when I cruise around town.
I am yet to see one readout from both of my cars that is actually accurate.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Presently my ute thinks I'll get 1180kms out of the 40l of e85 in the tank, it also believes I sit at around 8l/100 when I cruise around town.
I am yet to see one readout from both of my cars that is actually accurate.

what does your own testing tell you though?

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
+1 with woolworths petrol giving a lower mileage. i think bp ultimate gives me the best - ussually 800kms/tank. and i wouldnt put shell in my car as i've heard they use alot of additives and the colour of it is brown...when bp/caltex is clear/light blueish.

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
Don't get a Gen III, I'm sitting on about 20L/100km lol. But you've got to remember that Commodores are heavy cars, you're fuel economy gets worse the more times you have to come to a stop, I've never owned an alloytec engine myself but theoretically the most economic highway cruising speed is whatever speed your engine revs lowest, in the highest gear, without revving so low that the engine labours.

ICP-19Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais V6
It's great to read to feed back from you guy, if you don't ask the question you'll never know I guess. My V6 2005 alloytech Calais is a 5speed auto. On a good week lucky to 380kms out of the tank. If I wanted to buy a Hybird wog box I would of bought one yet it doesn't hurt to ask around to try improve the car I have.

Driving freeway which we don't do much we were going to the snow and got it down to 6.8L/100 when I got back home I still had half a tank of fuel left.
I'm sure everyone has seen the TOPGEAR episode testing mileage, they make sure nothing is turned on radio, light, A/C, whippers all turned off windows up ect...
I'm not that anal about by mileage, it just pees me off when I hear that other with the same model car that drive around town only are getting better mileage to there tank.

To my knowledge BP and SHELL Fuel come from the same refinery. The reason I use shell cause when heading up north hunting and it's time to fill up it's only shell fuel available in town. That's driving a 95 model 2.8L Hilux diesel with an aftermarket snail towing 2 quad bikes dogs and the rest of our gear, yet the hilux sits on 300rpm when doing 110kms.
What I'm saying is the ute is 10years older and when she's over loaded I'm still getting better mileage out of it.

I believe it's something mechanical, just can't put my finger on it. Sorry if I've bored you with the essay.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I had a 2005 Executive sedan - 3.6 with 4-speed auto - very standard.
There was mention of the VZ weight in one post. I put mine on the local weighbridge. It returned 1,710 kg.

On a long trip - Canberra to Darwin, towing an 8x5 trailer with a 300 kg motorcycle.
I was carrying a jerry-can, so I wasn't worried about running out of fuel.

From Wellington to Wilcannia, I had the cruise control on 111 kph. I made it to the servo at Wilcannia ... just.
Odo 702 km; for 72.1 litres.

Next day, same load, but I wanted to get home in a bit more of a hurry.
When I left Port Augusta, I set the cruise control on 133 ... didn't make it to Coober Pedy - ran out at 460 on the odo.

After that I decided not to hurry so much, and kept the cruise control at 111 or thereabouts.

It would be interesting to compare at other speeds, but I never got around to it.

In 2010, I bought a VE with 3.0 SIDI and 6-speed auto. I have driven it from Darwin to Melbourne & return, four times.
It is more economical than the VZ. The test for me is the 675 km between Katherine & Tennant Creek. The speed limit is 130kph.
Every car I had, including the VZ, needed a top-up between those towns, or I wouldn't make. Fuel is expensive in those parts.
Anyway, the VE with cruise control at 111 kph, made it for 61 litres - no top-up - brilliant !
On another trip through outback Queensland, there was a day where I hardly used the cruise control (rain; roadworks), and I rarely got above 100 kph, and probably averaged between 90 and 100 kph. I got 898 km out of a tank-full. I checked the digital fuel read out ("engineering mode" I think it's called), and I had 0.1 litres left.
It took 73 litres to fill it.

I wish that I'd heard earlier about the disconnect & flush routine mentioned above. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it.