Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many Mufflers are Legal

Harts_94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR II
Jon Z said:
Hey i jus removed my rear muffler. I have not put any pipe on but the pipe on it now exits just behind the diff. I was wondering if its illegal and that i need to get straight pipe put on so it goes to the rear bumper. I am in QLD so i don't know if this is illegal or not to have it exiting just behind the diff. Any help would be great ;)

Cheers, Jon Z
Here's the info from the Qld Transport modifications website:

Exhaust systems
Exhaust systems must comply with Queensland legislation which includes the following conditions:
• Exhaust headers (extractors) may be fitted to any motor vehicle, provided:
they do not foul any part of the steering, suspension, brake or fuel systems
all fittings for emission control equipment (E.G.R. valve, oxygen sensor, pipes and so on) are incorporated to ensure the vehicle maintains compliance with Australian Design Rules for vehicle emissions exhaust systems must continue to comply with relevant legislation or Australian Design Rules for vehicle noise.
• The exhaust outlet must extend at least 40mm beyond the furthermost outboard or rearmost joint of the floor pan that is not continuously welded or permanently sealed which could permit direct access of exhaust gases to the passenger compartment, but not beyond the perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plan.
• The exhaust outlet, if to the side of the vehicle, must discharge to the right hand side of the vehicle and downwards at an angle to the horizontal of not less than 15 degrees and not more than 45 degrees.
• The exhaust outlet, if to the rear of the vehicle, must discharge at not more than 10 degrees above or 45 degrees below the horizontal.
• All exhaust and muffler systems must be free of any leaks or mechanical faults and should be adequately supported.

So according to the 2nd one, it needs to come either out the back, or out the side of the vehicle on the right hand side - not under the car into the diff area... Worth talking to a mechanic who does roadworthy stuff to make sure, but I'm pretty sure it has to exit the floor pan area of the car fully for it to be legal (can't be underneath the car).

Cheers dude.

Last edited:
R

RKZ234

Harts_94VR said:
Here's the info from the Qld Transport modifications website:

Exhaust systems
Exhaust systems must comply with Queensland legislation which includes the following conditions:
• Exhaust headers (extractors) may be fitted to any motor vehicle, provided:
they do not foul any part of the steering, suspension, brake or fuel systems
all fittings for emission control equipment (E.G.R. valve, oxygen sensor, pipes and so on) are incorporated to ensure the vehicle maintains compliance with Australian Design Rules for vehicle emissions exhaust systems must continue to comply with relevant legislation or Australian Design Rules for vehicle noise.
• The exhaust outlet must extend at least 40mm beyond the furthermost outboard or rearmost joint of the floor pan that is not continuously welded or permanently sealed which could permit direct access of exhaust gases to the passenger compartment, but not beyond the perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plan.
• The exhaust outlet, if to the side of the vehicle, must discharge to the right hand side of the vehicle and downwards at an angle to the horizontal of not less than 15 degrees and not more than 45 degrees.
• The exhaust outlet, if to the rear of the vehicle, must discharge at not more than 10 degrees above or 45 degrees below the horizontal.
• All exhaust and muffler systems must be free of any leaks or mechanical faults and should be adequately supported.

So according to the 2nd one, it needs to come out the side of the vehicle on the right hand side - not under the car into the diff area... Worth talking to a mechanic who does roadworthy stuff to make sure, but I'm pretty sure it has to exit the floor pan area of the car fully for it to be legal (can't be underneath the car).

Cheers dude.

By removing the rear resonator, I'm quite certain the vehicle WILL NOT COMPLY with ADR's re noise.

IT IS CERTAINLY ILLEGAL TO HAVE THE EXHAUST ENDING JUST BEYOND THE DIFF.

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
Yeh looks like i'll be puttin some pipe on it so i can exit at the rear bumper again,thanks for ya help guys

Jon Z

richie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Commodore 3.8V6
hows it going chris did you see my post re the VS i have had that exhaust work done as you know just wondering if I should do that thing with the computer ie. let it reset, see page one for what we were talking about
you reckon i should give that a crack?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Jon Z said:
Hey i jus removed my rear muffler. I have not put any pipe on but the pipe on it now exits just behind the diff. I was wondering if its illegal and that i need to get straight pipe put on so it goes to the rear bumper. I am in QLD so i don't know if this is illegal or not to have it exiting just behind the diff. Any help would be great ;)

Cheers, Jon Z
i did the same thing jon and just made a little dumper to push the exhaust downward-ish...but if its gunna be a dilemma, i will just get some big tips made up to extend it to the back of the car...

Harts_94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR II
richie said:
hows it going chris did you see my post re the VS i have had that exhaust work done as you know just wondering if I should do that thing with the computer ie. let it reset, see page one for what we were talking about
you reckon i should give that a crack?

Yep, I've heard some pretty amazing things about the computer's ability to adapt to the car and wring every last bit of performance it can out of it.

It's a requirement of the American pollution laws, called OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) under which the computer is required to analyse the engine's perfomance and trim it out for maximum perfomance and economy, and thus minimise pollution. From VR onwards they complied with the OBD-II standards, pretty rigorous.

It shows up on a dyno, how the computer "learns" the engine and adapts to it, and you can see it increase the power as it trims out its settings! Bloody clever stuff.

I have noticed how much of a difference it made when I change from normal unleaded onto Optimax, it had virtually no effect until I reset the ecu. Once you've done it, over about 2 or 3 tanks of petrol it gets better and better as it fine tunes itself. Better ecenomy, smoother running, and more power.

In other words, YES! It's worth it. :D

How did the extractors go? I'm still saving my pennies to get the whole lot done. Bloody hard when you're about to get married, I'm broke!

R

RKZ234

Harts_94VR said:
Yep, I've heard some pretty amazing things about the computer's ability to adapt to the car and wring every last bit of performance it can out of it.

It's a requirement of the American pollution laws, called OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) under which the computer is required to analyse the engine's perfomance and trim it out for maximum perfomance and economy, and thus minimise pollution. From VR onwards they complied with the OBD-II standards, pretty rigorous.

It shows up on a dyno, how the computer "learns" the engine and adapts to it, and you can see it increase the power as it trims out its settings! Bloody clever stuff.

I have noticed how much of a difference it made when I change from normal unleaded onto Optimax, it had virtually no effect until I reset the ecu. Once you've done it, over about 2 or 3 tanks of petrol it gets better and better as it fine tunes itself. Better ecenomy, smoother running, and more power.

In other words, YES! It's worth it. :D

How did the extractors go? I'm still saving my pennies to get the whole lot done. Bloody hard when you're about to get married, I'm broke!

I don't think the computer is quite that good. My Supercharged VX dumps fuel into the engine at under half throttle as programmed by the factory.

Whilst fitting a Pod filter has made a huge difference, to economy and driveability, the computer still hasn't worked out to stop almost flooding the engine at about half throttle after 60,000 km of driving.

richie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Commodore 3.8V6
harts will do it this w/e

extractors made a world of diff mate, for the money most obvious difference of all the upgrades

I

iceman01

performance chip

I have a vy/exec can some one please tell me if i can get a performance chip
for it .

R

RKZ234

iceman01 said:
I have a vy/exec can some one please tell me if i can get a performance chip
for it .

Give firms like UniChip a call.

But before getting a chip, you need to set the vehicle up to get the most out of what you already have, which will also compliment the chip.

The standard exhaust and air intake will impede any chip upgrade.

Eg. Reduce air intake restriction - Pod or K&N Filter etc.
Extractors & exhaust, then reset the computer

Without a chip you can expect to gain approx 25-30kw from the V6 with a pod and exhaust.

Last edited by a moderator: