Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much is this going to cost???

ORIXVywags

Max stunners on the train
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Acclaim,VR Acclaim,VS Ute,VS Berlina Wagon
The moto of this story:

Dont use any other part of your car to tow anything, unless you have at least have Stocky 550kg weighed Tow bar, (even this aint the recommended)

Ebay has them for like $20-$50, which is considerably different to an adjustable Panhard Rod and Fuel Tank (the fuel tank doesnt look too happy after the Rod kissed it)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The moto of this story:

Dont use any other part of your car to tow anything, unless you have at least have Stocky 550kg weighed Tow bar, (even this aint the recommended)

Ebay has them for like $20-$50, which is considerably different to an adjustable Panhard Rod and Fuel Tank (the fuel tank doesnt look too happy after the Rod kissed it)

Huh? The standard towbar is rated at 1200kgs.

Some people get a lot out of telling others what not to do or how bad it is is without actually offering any help.....grow up.

I can see this as being a mistake by someone not knowing a hell of a lot about cars.

To the OP, good job in getting your old man to pay for an upgrade.

The moral of this story is if you aren't sure, ask, if there is no one to ask, use a bit of common sense and look at what "might" happen if you do something.

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
lol...aww man, i hope you did'nt lower your car back on the ground like that!?

crunch goes your exhaust.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
It looks like it has made the sway bar move in the rubbers attaching it to the diff housing. It might be a good idea to check the link pins for damage. How did you straighten the pan hard rod mound on the diff as it looked to be bent? I'd also be hitting Dad up for a new fuel tank.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
It looks like it has made the sway bar move in the rubbers attaching it to the diff housing. It might be a good idea to check the link pins for damage. How did you straighten the pan hard rod mound on the diff as it looked to be bent? I'd also be hitting Dad up for a new fuel tank.

You can tell that from the photo's can you..? Must have some x-ray vision going on or something...
The diff mount is supposed to be on an angle, it didn't look too badly bent out of shape to me.

Do you really think that needs a new tank, from those photo's? Or are you just hanging **** on the O/P like everybody else in this thread..?

O/P - Flip the Pan hard rod around like the guys are saying and you'll be right. ;)

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
You can tell that from the photo's can you..? Must have some x-ray vision going on or something...
The diff mount is supposed to be on an angle, it didn't look too badly bent out of shape to me.

Do you really think that needs a new tank, from those photo's? Or are you just hanging **** on the O/P like everybody else in this thread..?

O/P - Flip the Pan hard rod around like the guys are saying and you'll be right. ;)

X-Ray vision is to see inside things mate you don't need it to see things plain as day! It's an advice forum I am not hanging **** on him at all. Did I criticise him for towing a car from the pan hard rod??
Have a look at the photo's and you will see the dirt on the sway bar is gone either side of the bushes on to the diff and it's a straight mark indicative of the bar being moved sideways.
New fuel tank is up to him, it's dinged I'd get it fixed or replaced eventually they don't cost that much 2md hand and if he's keeping the car for a while best to get one now while good second hand ones are still around.

Last edited:

lothaer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina V6
thanks for ALL the comments guys.

The panhard rod mounts werent bent lucky huh.

as for the sway bar i noticed that had moved when i took the old panhard rod off i managed to fix that myself :D i dont think its perfect but its better than what it was.

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
to the op; good to see that you got it sorted without having to get another diff, it always feels good when you get out of something cheap.
hope you learnt your lesson.

one thing though, i noticed that you dont have any chassis stands under the car just a trolley jack and a bottle jack.
this is a bad habbit you should try to break, trust me ive seen jacks fail