Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to supercharge/turbo a vs?

D

davo

well said OSL-060 its nice to see some common sense floating around the forums once and a while.

Lyoness

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7 M6
A mate of mine owns a VR Commodore Ute & put a R33 Skyline motor in it, The motor itself cost about $3500-$4000 and it's goes pretty much straight in except he had to change the engine mounts or something similar to the VL ones and everything else bolts straight up. A lot less hassle and the benifit of not having the rattling Holden motor (Commodores ONLY down fall)

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Hmm, Jake may agree that had the dollar vs the yen gone a different way back in 1989 that a VR with an RB25DET may in fact have been a production model.

Sure as hell would have owned a 3.8 at any rate. An interesting conversion, I'd be keen on pics if you know of any floating round Lyoness.

Lyoness

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7 M6
jetspin_vl, this is a photo of the front of the ute, I'll see if I can get some more pics of it for ya.
His motors:
V6 163rwhp Old motor
Straight 6 257rwhp New motor
New motor with dyno tune 289.6rwhp
Last weekend he did a 12.98 seconds down the 1/4 mile

Attachments

• RR 84 WA.jpg
    RR 84 WA.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 384

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Indeed those are impressive figures. It would have most hard core VR fans spitting tax, but as a VL man I can understand...

:drink:

D

davo

Jap engine = :)
Yank gearbox = :(

Jab engine = :)
Ausie body = :(

Thats a very impressive conversion, never heard of anyone doing that before.

Wouldnt the inline 6 be significantly longer than a v6?

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
davo mate, why do you drive a commodore...I swear I don't remember you posting anything positive...

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
If you are going to go Jap get a Supra front cut with a 2JZ-GTE(I think thats it).
From memory its a 3L TT, 280HP@fly straight 6, that run a 14sec quarter in a (if i'm correct) heavier car.
OOOO just found it depending on options and model, they weigh between 1430 and 1510KG..
And the price aint bad, as seen zoom, 2JZ TWIN TURBO 6 SPEED FROM $8000 ;)

Sure Jake can eleberate on this more..........

D

davo

why do you drive a commodore...

because i cant keep it running long enough to get it to the wreckers :)

I swear I don't remember you posting anything positive...

Sorry.

Hows this:

The v6 is a pretty cool engine for what it is (basically a v8 with two cylinders chopped off the end)

lots of low down torque, pulls great from low revs...

Its fun to be able to accelerate a car without having to rev the tits off it and abuse the clutch.

And its fun driving up a steep hill in a two lane road next to a fellow P-Plater in a Nissan EXA, listening to him running every gear to the revlimiter trying keep up while the dunnydoor is barely breaking a sweat at 3 grand.

Anyway...

Bring on the alloytech conversion kits!

Last edited by a moderator:

NKX

Reaction score
davo said:
Bring on the alloytech conversion kits!

If only, I myself have actually spoken toHolden about this, and it's all bad... aside from engine mounts, gearbox adaptor plates (if you don't use the 6-speed SV6 box), different tail-shaft length, and COMPLETELY re-wiring the entire car, as the wiring harnesses are completely incompatable.... Holden said they think the engine is so robust they are not going to build "spare" motors for at least another 18 months.... so unless you spend tons on a VZ wreck and then tons on the conversion including re-wiring the whole car... then no chance.

So sad I wanted this too :(

I have also investigated the 2JZs as well... while they go nice in the jap cars, they have no low down power... the torque produced is lesss than the buick and the car apparently struggles until building revs/boost. The most common conversion is done over east with a 1JZ-T - that has the same issues.

As for the Skyline conversion - very expensive. That guy who did it got an absolute steal... if it were that cheap and that powerful there would no longer be a market for crating in the factory supercharged V6 Buicks from the states.

Quite simply... the VR is pathetic, its got a bottom end a LOT weaker than the VS, produces not very much power for its capacity, and doesn't really like boost..... HOWEVER....

Check out FIT (www.v6supercharged.com.au) they have just completed the V6 Vengence manifold kit and have a totally kick-ass VR wagon done already. $1450.00 for the manifold, plus a second-hand Garrett turbo, plus all the rest of the plumbing... should run fine. VRs have been reported as running fine without great loss of life at around 8psi is under 100,000km, some as high as 13psi without blowing up, and mostly ALL will handle around 5-8psi no worries. While this rules out big power, it certainly is possible to get some more oomph out of the engine.

Issues with the above statement. A company called STA (Supercharger Technology Australia), now apparently PowerFlow used to offer remarkebly cheap low-boost kits for the Commodore... but I can't find them any more to see if the kits are still available :( If anyone knows anything send me the details please... otherwise... a turbo conversion will cost between $7k - 9k and a supercharger between $5k and 7k, both come in kit form and can generally be fitted for about $1k

In summation...

- Crate Supercharged Buick V6 = $5000.00 + $2000 to fit = 190kw(FW)
- Turbo Conversion = $7000.00 + $1500.00 to fit = 220kw - 300kw(FW)
- S/C (Constant Displacement) = $7000 + $1500.00 to fit = 220kx(FW)
- S/C Centrifugal Charger = $5000.00 + $1000.00 to fit = 215kw(FW)

it IS actually cheaper to run the "poor mans turbo" centrifugal supercharger (ie: Vortech, PowerDyne) etc on the standard motor than get a new one. Condition of engine may change this statement though. Also the Factory SC V6 with a few tweaks will definately be the better engine... can handle way more boost and builds up some big numbers. Speaking to those in the know though... the new turbo kits are waaaaaay better, and way faster... too bad they cost so much :(

All I can say is c'mon... I want to see some more mods and good performance V6 Commodores. I am sick of the V8s getting all the good stuff.

My $0.02 worth