Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how often do you run your aircon?

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
Hi guys
just had aircon regased and they suggested to run it every two weeks for 10- 15 mins?

how often do you run your aircon?

Autonomous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII 3.8L V6
Weekly for 5 mins... But I avoid using it to save that little bit of fuel. I've had my car since it had 60'000kms and i've done 50'000kms and its as cool as ever :)

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
From experience its been use it or loose it.
Had new cars and only used it when needed. They all had problems (fairly expensive) with the aircons.
Wife never turns hers off. Never any problems with hers.

Some Japanese makes the aircon comes on by default every time you select reverse to help keep the seals lubricated.

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Yeh it's definitly 'use it or loose it' in the long run.

I usualy use mine once a week for 15min's during motorway driving, In the summer i use it a bit more.

Other than that i have always been one to not really use it, I dont like putting the extra strain on the motor, Especially on hot qld summer day's so i just roll the window's down.
But i be sure to use it for 15min's every week while im on the motorway, So in the long run it's there if i need it

I would never use it in bumper to bumper traffic, But thats just me

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
10 mins daily but with climate control just set at 21 degrees and it kicks in when needed

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I never turn it off, it's always on.
When it gets too cold I just dial in the heat as necessary.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have had my VX SS from new and probably run it once a week for 10 mins or so, it has sat in the garage on the odd occassion for maybe 3 weeks, never been regassed and still nice and cold.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Weekly for 5 mins... But I avoid using it to save that little bit of fuel. I've had my car since it had 60'000kms and i've done 50'000kms and its as cool as ever :)

Really? Winding down a window will actually create more drag than using air cond. so there goes your theory of saving fuel.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
As well as running the A/C system for 15 minutes or so every couple of weeks during winter, during summer I also turn the heater to full hot for around 15 minutes or so, every couple of weeks, this allows fresh coolant to circulate through the heater core. This helps stop rust,scale and crap from buiiding up inside the core. Its this build up of crap in the core that usually causes the heater core to rust out. Also the qualily of engine coolant used, goes a long way to protecting the heater core from corrosion. Coolant should be changed regularly, and new coolant should be mixed at 50/50 ratio with distilled/demineralised water.
It can get bloody cold here in winter, so I use my heater a lot and I like to keep it in good working order during the summer months when its not used much, just as I do with the A/C during winter. I use the A/C to demist the interior glass a lot though,this works excellent because the A/C dries the air as well as cooling it, and with the temp dial turned to hot with the A/C on, it demists fogged up windows in seconds

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
A/C at least once per week and, like Brett_jjj, I'll use the heater periodically to get the coolant flow through the heater core. You don't have to have the heater on fully hot though, as the heater tap is completely open any time the temp. selector is away from the cold position.

Also, when switching on the A/C, at least initially, I try to do so only at idle speed. That way the rubbing parts, oil seals in particular, aren't immediately dragged up to high speed without a full oil film separating them (that's the theory anyway :)).

If you are trying to save fuel (A/C on can be worth 15-20% extra in fuel consumption; you're running the cooling fan(s) as well as the A/C compressor) in most cases you can switch it on only when decelerating (kinetic energy recovery) and still get adequate cooling. I even have a switch on the brake pedal to do this - with some hysteresis via an RC timer, to prevent rapid cycling on a brief brake application. (I would probably use an Arduino were I doing it again and get some more sophisticated switching. Atm, I have to use an over ride/bypass switch for highway use.)

For demisting, if the inside of the glass is misted, using the A/C as well will clear it faster, if it's the outside, it will be better to leave it off. In both cases, using recirculated air will work better than fresh.