Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How often to rotate and balance tyres ?

junka

MUZZA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equipe VZ
I have Bridgestone Potenzas RE030 235/45 R17's on my VZ Equipe, original factory fit. As they are expensive -retail $330 each, I like to get as much milelage as possible out of them. So how often should I get them rotated and balanced, every 5000 kms or 10,000 km ? I have had different opinions from Holden and tyre dealers.

Also, what other tyre brands do people have on their cars and how have they performed ?Potenzas have good grip, but they are very expensive and very noisy.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
$330 a tyre???? ur gettin ripped.... im paying $370 a tyre for potenza so3's and they are top of the range for bridgestone.... quiet, grippy, last bout 40,000, 1 year puncture warranty wat more could u ask for???
i rotate my tyres about every 2 months.... so like 5000 k's and rotate tyres on rims every 15,000 to get maximum life out of them and inflate them to 38 psi

N

nicholasjoe

Rotate and balance every 10,000km's.

Check air pressures regulary (once a month).

Check for un even wear of the tyre and flip tyre on rim accordingly.

Even do a wheel alignment every 6 months, if you want to get the best out of your tyres.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
also tyre pressure is the most important thing for even wear (after an alignment) the lower the profile the more PSI the tyre should have

junka

MUZZA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equipe VZ
rotate and balance tyres

Checked with Bridgestone, they are $330 retail and Bob Jane $340 retail

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
It should depend on the way you drive it. If you use a bit of throttle every now and then :driving: 5000 would be a good idea. But if you drive normally upwards of this should be obtainable. With a 6 8-15000km rotation should be fine. With a 15000km service routine with the alloytech I would rotate every 7500 kms and let next rotation be done at the service.
Keep an eye on the pressure though, check and adjust every second tank. They will benefit from a higher pressure no less than 32psi. I run 35 on the rear and 40 in the front. 99% of the running around for me is no load in the tray of the Ute though. The tread is wearing very evenly across the tyres. Sedan would be better at 38-40 all round.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
ive rotated mine twice already and im just at 15k, due to rim powdercoating, putting pursuit rims on etc. My tyres still have shiteloads of tread on them, looks like ill get at least 30k out of them.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I get free rotating and balancing of the rear wheels every 5,000km..

ashtray1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Atomic Green w/ 20" Supersports
I get free balancing and rotation as well but for all 4 wheels

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
I rotated them myself every 7500 (Between the services) & then let the service do them, with a balance, every 15000km. I had 40,000 on the tyres before they needed replacing as I blew a tyre.

Rather then replacing 2, I thought I may as well do all 4 tyres, but I could have probably got another 10,000 maybe a tad more before replacing them.

I run 37kpa in all 4 tyres on the SV6 (My local digital gauge will only fill to 37). Hard as hell on a trip, but for the badly potholed roads out here it saves rim damage, as well as having the added advantage of wearing the tyres dead even across them.