Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to balance tailshaft??

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
As Nugget said, you have 4 options. Number 4 is the time consuming one where you take the shaft out and turn it a bit and put it back in until you try all the combinations of orientations and bolt holes until you find one you are happy with. At least if you do that you will either get it right for free, OR, you know you have tried everything and know you need to get it balanced profesionally. that way your not spending money if you don't need to.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
With a one piece tailshaft (and with the diff. pinion and extension housing flanges parallel) that would be correct (to line up the uni's) but not if it's the standard Commodore two piece unit.

The centre CV joint and centre bearing combo. alters the angle of the front and rear uni's relative to each other. To correct for that the front and rear uni's are meant to have a radial offset relative to each other i.e. the front and rear uni's are "clocked".

I don't know what the angles are off the top of my head and wagon, with a longer wheelbase, will probably be different to sedan. The spec. will be in the relevant factory workshop manual if someone has access to one and will post it up. Otherwise checking on another car(s), perhaps in a wrecking yard might be one option. I may have the numbers somewhere and if I find them I will post them up.

Tailshaft balance (as distinct from alignment) is a separate issue.

mate, i've suggested he puts it as it is would have been originally. i have a spare driveshaft laying in the garage with the universals lined up as i have suggested. came out a VN manual.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i just stuck my head under my VN and the universals are alligned as i've suggested. as far as i'm aware this driveshaft has never been split from factory (i'm only the 2nd owner from 65xxxkm's on the clock).

although the universals do look to be alligned properly, they are infact a few degrees out from each other. however you can only put the 2 halves together in 6 different positions (as there are 6 bolts holding the halves together unless you also remove the CV from the splined shaft). there are 2 postions that are most likely with the universals aligned. if those 2 positions don't work then you can also try it with the universals 90degrees out (seeing as that is how you currently have it, it's obviously wrong for you)

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I found the specs for tailshaft phasing in some old Holden service material I have.

Looking down the axis of the driveshaft from the front of the car the differentional pinion joint should be further clockwise than the joint at the gearbox extension housing by:

VP (no model specified): 30-45 degrees.

From VIN # L726124, June 4 1994, VR/VS sedan, auto., 5-link: 90 degrees +/- 7.5 degrees.

All other VR/VS with 5-link: 37.5 degrees +/- 7.5 degrees (Note that this is the same spec. as the one for VP just expressed in a different way).

All VR/VS with IRS: Should be -60 degrees (i.e. anti-clockwise) +/- 7.5 degrees.