Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to bleed your coolant system vp

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
If you want to get all the air out of your coolant system then.
1. You take the overflow cap of and stick the tube inside the end of your garden hose.
2. Turn the hose on slowly and then crack off the bleeder valve on the thermo stat housing.
3. When a full stream of fluid comes out do up the valve and you are all ready to roll. after you replace thwe cap.

this can also be done with a large coke bottle.
1. You fill the coke bottle right to the top.
2. Fill the radiator as much as you can with a hose or bucket.
3. Open the bleed valve on the thermostat housing.
4. Shove the top of the coke bottle into the radiator cap hole.
5. While pressing the bottle down squeeze till coolant comes out of the bleed valve.
6. Quickly do up the valve and replace the radiator cap.

After a little run when the system gets pressure in it open the valve to let the last little bit of air out.
There are other ways but this is how i tend to do it.

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
if u want there air to go out, my dad taught me how..
bleed the coolant/water
fill up full
leave the bottle/radiator cap off
start the car leave on for about 5mins

and it starts sucking the water so u just keep adding till it doesnt suck it up nomore :) oh and ofcourse dont forget to put the cap back on haha :p

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I cut the top off a coolant bottle and stuffed a slice of radiator hose over it. That jams into the top of the radiator. First I fill the system with the bleed valve open and top hose off. then when the coolant comes out, conect the top hose and fill. then tighten the bleed valve and shove in the coolant bottle. Fill that with coolant and run the car with varing revs over 3 or 4 times of the thermostat comeing on and off. The air really bubbles out for ages. This way you will get every bit out. all of it. then I remove the coolant bottle carefully because it will be hot and top up if needed just a smidge and whack the cap on. then top up the overflow bottle.
A guy from Holden taught me that. (he used a purpose made funnel that screwed into top of the radiator.)

jonnydico

Reaction score
rad overflowing

what if your rad starts overflowing when the thermostat opens up? is this normal or is there something wrong with my cooling system?

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
As the water heats up it expands so over flowing while running with cap of is normal.
The boiling temp for a commodore system ibn good nick is VERY high.
The cap holds pressure in and for ever psi i think the boiling point goes up 5 degrees.

So a commodore system can get very hot.

jonnydico

Reaction score
bleeding

thanks mate!, the reason I was asking is because when the car is running and the bleed screw is open no coolant flows no matter how long I leave it. Also as I let it run the coolant starts to creep out of the rad. However, when I give it throttle or when the thermo is open I do get coolant coming out the bleed screw. I ask because a lot of the posts say to keep the cap off until the thermo opens in their how to's for bleeding the air out. I can also hear gurgling behind the dash when the heaters on, makes me think air in the system.
thanks again

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
use my method and kiss the gurgling good bye.
I didn't mention that when you shove the coolant bottle in the top you have to fill it up a bit so all the air bubbles to the highest point in the system. When the thermo opens the first time there will be a stack of bubbling and the level drops so have some next to you. I also wear gloves because of the heat of the coolant. I have to support the bottle at the upsidedown handle because the vibrations can make it fall off. Hold it and it will be fine. takes about 30 mins if you really go to town on it :)

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
the blled nipple is higher then the rad cap so will not flow out of there without assistance.
Thermo stats have a small bbypass hole in them to let a little fluid past all the time, so air gets past.
Always good idea to bleed again after a run, i do.
normally get a little air out but not much.
Hose on the over flow spout is easiest and cleanest way to do it.
You don't get covered in chrap just before you go out.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah it is normally higher but once you fit the container up to the cap and fill it with coolant it is way higher than the bleed screw.

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
i started a coolant flush and kept bleeding the system but it gets really hot (half way) and spits all the water back, i have the heater on and everything but it still throws the water back and the thermo fans wont kick in? how can i get the fan to kick in, i recently just fixed a relay issue with the fan