Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to convert VR/VS tail lights to LED.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
U must buy leds with a high mcd number, ~5000mcd. The cheap jaycar. Or dick smith run about 800mcd so not very bright.
i can't remember what strength I got for my roof, but they were in the thousands.

EBay is the best place for cheap, but a weeks wait.

Yeah I picked up some 5mm LEDs today, but they are pretty disappointing too. I'm now looking at these..

50x10mm Red Superbright LED

Size: 10mm
Forward Voltage (V): DC 3.2~3.4
Forward Current (mA):20
View Angle: About 25 degree
Luminous Intensity: 12000-14000mcd
Lens Color: Water Clear
Emitting Colour: Red

I'll order some of these and go back to playing with the flexi strips while I wait.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
I tried this once and failed. had a cheap red LED strip and shoved it in the brake light (rear window) it worked, but looked dodgy and you could see where all the LED's were..

I've now got LED bulbs in my rear taillights and they suck! They are fine as parkers but if I combine it with the brakes.. theres SFA difference.
Only good thing about them is they made my yellowing boot taillights go red. :D

Wouldn't mind seeing the outcome of this :)

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I tried this once and failed. had a cheap red LED strip and shoved it in the brake light (rear window) it worked, but looked dodgy and you could see where all the LED's were..

I've now got LED bulbs in my rear taillights and they suck! They are fine as parkers but if I combine it with the brakes.. theres SFA difference.
Only good thing about them is they made my yellowing boot taillights go red. :D

Wouldn't mind seeing the outcome of this :)

As far as seeing where all the LEDs are.. I think I have 2 choices.

The circuit boards don't bend.. much.. so if I use them they wont be close to the lens itself. I've already noticed even with the bright LED strips that if its not virtually contacting the lens, you cant really see individual LEDs. That's going to be the same with the circuit boards.. hopefully they will just flood the whole light and the source wont be visible.

If I go the flexible route, then the LEDs will be hard up against the lens, to highlight rather than hide them like the modern euro styles. They will have to be red ones instead of these white ones though.

I guess a 3rd route would be to use these individual LEDs glued into place without the breadboard then a resin pour to keep them where I want them... I dunno, that's why I am mucking about trying different things :)

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I know you are going with custom, but still, you can't go wrong with high wattage LED replacements. Use red LEDs, not white, red blends the light in with the lens so you have a nice deep red colour. The ones you posted pics of above are cheap and nasty, they just wont cut it.

If you are after super bright deep red, then something like this ---> 2x Red 1157 BAY15D 7.5W Car High Power LED Brake Light Lamp Super Bright 12V 24V | eBay

The basic problem I would have with those is a single very bright light source.. I would prefer a more spread light than those bulbs would offer. Even on the much weaker LED replacement globes (as per photos post #10) you can see the effect I am talking about.. the much brighter area where the globe is.

Also, the video on post #12 shows the superbright LEDs as a square behind the lens at one point.. (those are about 2 inches behind the lens, much brighter if brought closer ). Yes, of course the colour will be better with red LEDs but the actual light source will still stand out like dogs balls I think.

If I am going to have the light source visible, I would rather highlight it in the euro style, where you can see every LED in a nice pattern. Otherwise, I would prefer a nice, evenly lit light with no visible source. Just my preference..

Certainly an option if I cant get results other ways though, thanks.
At least they will be bright and wont look gay, that's the original primary objective :) .

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I mainly posted it for the picture that was put up. Thought you could use that as an idea on mounting LEDs evenly and just a general look at how it finished up with the lense back on. It turned out good and I'm keen to see how the VR/VS ones will turnout once done.

The shape of the VN lights is pretty helpful too. These things have too many curves, which is going to make it awkward to fill the light properly... especially the outer corners. I am certainly gonna try though :)

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
No decent cameras as usual. Iphone is busted as usual. Sigh.

I can get a photo of the lights, or a photo of the LEDs. Even in a well lit room, the LEDs just overpower everything and the photo darkens up.

The brake lights are 10mm LEDs, soldered in parallel onto 2 small circuit boards.

They draw a total of 3W.

The tail lights are flexible red smd LEDs. These are different from the white ones, they still cut into groups of 3 but have no resin cover.. just LEDs on a flexible strip.

The tail lights draw a total of 5W.

They fit better but wont be as totally waterproof as the white ones. I dont see that as an issue, the white ones are meant for outdoor use like gardens and stuff.

I'm still using an old light to experiment with, so the LEDs are simply glued to the lense with a hot melt gun. Even the circuit boards with the big Brake LEDs are just glued on.. all LEDs are making contact with the lense.

I think I plan on doing the same with a good light now.. cut the back out and glue them in. I will use silicone on the real thing though, hot melt glue gets soft after about an hour with these running. When its all working and fitting well, I will seal the back again with fibreglass.

It actually looks pretty pro, despite the photos, I am pleased. As soon as I have a decent camera again I will do some pix with a finished good light on the car, day and night.

BRAKE LIGHTS

brake_zps68e8c1f9.jpg

TAIL LIGHTS

tail_zpsff22cf96.jpg

ALL TOGETHER

tailandbrake_zpsf2f0c16d.jpg

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Did you make the tail lights look like a willy on purpose.

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
ummm tail lights are red.. never mind you edited head lights back to tail lights lmao

I am still 'playing' with them, they may change shape when the project hits a climax..

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
ummm tail lights are red..

I am still 'playing' with them, they may change shape when the project hits a climax..

I see what you did there.

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
The strips are a great idea man. Good work.
I did a similar thing with mine for the A/C + Fan Speed & Gear Selector. With the stock inserts they look so great at night.

Heres some pics for those who are interested

IMAG0269.jpg
IMAG0267.jpg
IMAG0266.jpg
IMAG0264.jpg
IMAG0270.jpg