Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to get rid of hostile stalkers who talegate u?

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais, 1965 Morris Mini
When did I ever say that I tailgated? I never said that I tailgate, I have always moved over for people going faster than me, even when I am overtaking in the RH lane. Obviously the person behind me wants to go faster than I am, so I will move into a gap, once they are past, I will move back over and continue on.

The people in front of me going slower than I am that don't move over piss me off, but I won't tailgate.

You said yourself that you must show courtesy and move over when there is room to allow another car to pass. Whether or that car is speeding or not is irrelevant.

This seems to imply that you see tail gaining as an appropriate way to indicate you want someone to move
An example is driving in the US, tailgating is how they indicate they want you to move over so they can go past. The speed limits over there are just a suggestion, more often than not, the people doing the limit are the slow traffic. It is an offence to pass on the right, (our left) so people do not do it. If they are happy to sit in the fast lane at your speed, they will, but of they want to go past, they will come right up close so you move over. We drove about 6000ks over there and it took about the first 10 to work that out. Why can't people over here do the same?

And yes, it is my "right" to speed. The laws are there to control the masses, if I want to break a law, then it is my perogative, but also my right. Read the Magna Carta, section 39. I can break the law, but I will be judged.

While I don't like tailgaters as such, the ones that sit on your arse on a single lane road when there is a line of traffic in front of you, there is usually a reason they are there when you are in the RH lane on a multilane carriageway. If there is a line of cars in the RH lane, move over and let them get one car in front and have the next car piss them off and create the potential for a road rage incident.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
In nsw it is not 'illegal' to sit in the right hand lane unless the speed limit is over 80km/h

Actually, it is illegal.

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Not it is not. Don't embarrass yourself further

[Index]
[Search] [Search this Regulation] [Notes] [Noteup] [Previous] [Next] [Download] [Help]
AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES - REG 130

130—Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if:

(a) the speed-limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If your complaint is that people in the overtaking lane are traveling under the speed limit, then I wholly agree. They should get back into the lane prescribed for them by law immediately it is safe to do so.

Just a note on this point, it's not against the law to travel under the speed limit in the RH lane, only if you are there and not overtaking (talking about the sppeds at which this rule applies).

If the limit is 100 and they are doing 95 overtaking a car doing 90, they are permitted to do that. I think the only time going too slow is against the road rules is on a designated Freeway, then it's 20km/h under the limit.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Not it is not. Don't embarrass yourself further

[Index]
[Search] [Search this Regulation] [Notes] [Noteup] [Previous] [Next] [Download] [Help]
AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES - REG 130

130—Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if:

(a) the speed-limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour

You are correct, but you have missed a bit. If there is signage saying you must 'keep left unless overtaking', then it also becomes illegal. Otherwise, spot on.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I don't have a problem with people overtaking and NOT moving over if there is no room. My whole point is about people who sit in the RH lane and don't move over when there is room, I think I have said this enough times to make that clear?

Filippimini, quoting out of context. Read the whole paragraph. I am asking why people over here can't move over when they see a faster car approaching from behind as they do in the US.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Just a note on this point, it's not against the law to travel under the speed limit in the RH lane, only if you are there and not overtaking (talking about the sppeds at which this rule applies).

If the limit is 100 and they are doing 95 overtaking a car doing 90, they are permitted to do that. I think the only time going too slow is against the road rules is on a designated Freeway, then it's 20km/h under the limit.

Agreed. I wasn't aware of a minimum limit though - does that apply to all lanes? .. I wonder if that causes problems with learner drivers? Don't they have a max speed of 80 or something?

My point was, it would certainly be the courteous and reasonable thing to do, get out of the way if practical... and as they are traveling slower it is obviously more practical.

That's not the issue here though is it? .. its the drivers who are doing the right thing, overtaking at a legal or maybe even slightly higher than legal speed when they have the opportunity to do so, being abused by those who think that because they want to exceed the speed limit by much more that they automatically have some kind of moral right of way.

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais, 1965 Morris Mini
I don't have a problem with people overtaking and NOT moving over if there is no room. My whole point is about people who sit in the RH lane and don't move over when there is room, I think I have said this enough times to make that clear?

Filippimini, quoting out of context. Read the whole paragraph. I am asking why people over here can't move over when they see a faster car approaching from behind as they do in the US.

Everybody is in agreement on that issue. If you are driving in the right lane and your not overtaking you need to move over. However, if you haven't finished overtaking, the car behind you does not have the right to drive close to you to indicate they want you to speed up or move.

My only issue with what you have been saying is that you think you have the right to speed and/or drive close to someone who isn't doing what most people would see as common sense.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Agreed. I wasn't aware of a minimum limit though - does that apply to all lanes? .. I wonder if that causes problems with learner drivers? Don't they have a max speed of 80 or something?

My point was, it would certainly be the courteous and reasonable thing to do, get out of the way if practical... and as they are traveling slower it is obviously more practical.

That's not the issue here though is it? .. its the drivers who are doing the right thing, overtaking at a legal or maybe even slightly higher than legal speed when they have the opportunity to do so, being abused by those who think that because they want to exceed the speed limit by much more that they automatically have some kind of moral right of way.

No, not at all. What I DO think however, is that if someone sees a faster car coming up behind them, then be courteous and let them go, but only if there is room to move over. I don't expect a car that is overtaking to slow down and squeaze into a slot just to let me past. But if there is enough room to move over comfortably and they DON'T, that is what I have issue with.

Everybody is in agreement on that issue. If you are driving in the right lane and your not overtaking you need to move over. However, if you haven't finished overtaking, the car behind you does not have the right to drive close to you to indicate they want you to speed up or move.

My only issue with what you have been saying is that you think you have the right to speed and/or drive close to someone who isn't doing what most people would see as common sense.

But I don't tailgate. I have maintained that I have a problem with people not moving over when there is room to do so, whether they have finished overtaking the whole line of cars or not. OK, maybe I don't have the RIGHT to speed, but I certainly have the choice. If I want to speed, I will. But by the same token, you don't have the RIGHT to hold me up just because you are doing the speed limit and think I should be as well. You have that CHOICE, but you also have the choice to be courteous and move over and let me pass (in the circumstance I have described above).

My whole argument has not been move over no matter what, only if there is room. The people that sit in the right lane and crawl past the left lane traffic and refuse to move over until they have gone past every car in the left lane that they can see are the ones that piss me off. What gives these people the right to force me to match their speed?

I may have given the wrong impression that I do crazy speeds, I don't. I know what my speedo reads in relation to my true road speed though and when I come up behind a car and my speedo says 110, I know damn well I'm not doing 110. Ignorance may be bliss, but thinking you are doing 110 because that is what your speedo says, and then forcing me to slow down by not getting out of the way.....in the words of Split Enz "I see red, I see red, I see red" (but I won't, or ever will, or ever have, engaged in a road rage incident, I will fume behind my steering wheel, but I will never take it out on another road user).