Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to get smooth clear of the gun

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I recently sprayed my ss skirts myself in Acrylic. It is a metallic colour so I had to put a clear coat over the top. Problem is it come up with a fairly major 'orange peel' kind of finish. So I rubbed it back with some 2000 grit and cut and polished it. It came up fairly well, but loses its shine pretty quickly. I'm wondering how to not get as much 'orange peel' so I don't need to sand it as much. Also some of them blistered In a few spots, it looks like little spots in the clear, and the clear still seems soft when it's in the sun some times. Any help would be great thanks.

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
your not meant to put clear over acrylic mate HAHA, u just sand it and buff it, 2pac is what you put acrylic over. sorry to burst your bubble

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.

Bellicose

Reaction score
Members Ride
TOW PIG
your not meant to put clear over acrylic mate HAHA, u just sand it and buff it, 2pac is what you put acrylic over. sorry to burst your bubble

Sorry but YOUR bubble is 'bout to be burst.

YES you do put clear over acrylic lacquer, especially if it's a metallic.

"2pac is what you put acrylic over" What the hell does that even mean? Have you put acrylic over 2 pack?

Have you EVER painted anything....PROPERLY?

I wish people would post when they actually DO know something 'bout the thread.

Buddy, your post is just one major fail.

Bellicose

Reaction score
Members Ride
TOW PIG
OP, you're doin' the right thing (good on ya for having a go)

Give the side skirts a couple of weeks to harden (acrylic lacquer uses evaporation to dry, meaning it's not hard 'til all the solvents have gone, where as 2 pack relies on a chemical reaction to harden, hence the hardener)

After they're hard, scuff them with 'bout 800 grit paper (wet is better than dry) then re-clear them.

If you're using a spray gun, thion down the clear a little more than you did last time.
If using an aerosol can, do lots of light coats.
You don't want to put it on 'heavy'.

After that then 2000 and buff / polish.

Don't worry mate, acrylic lacquer is a pain and very time consuming.

I did my time (early '80s) using lacquer and i hate using when i have a job that requires it.

Bellicose

Reaction score
Members Ride
TOW PIG
2pac needs to be cleared, acrylic does not.

You've got that backwards i think.

But then again i may be wrong..........................gosh that means my 30 odd years in the industry have been a waste of time.

CustomSprayMods

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute Series 2
Here are some tips I got from a few Tradesman spray painters. I have also sprayed acrylic several times myself.

BY using Acrylic thinners rather then Multi thinners in the clear you will get a smoother finish. Also by lowering the air pressure to about 45psi when spraying the clear.
Having the gun setup properly with the correct fluid to air ratio will also help gat a smooth finish.
Use 1200g or 1500g when sanding the clear not 2000g. You will see small dimples in the sanding so make sure they are all gone before you buff. (the compound will get those scratch marks out)
Using the correct acrylic buffing compound and waiting at least 3 to 4 days before sanding will also stop the clear from getting imperfections in the future.

By waiting 10 min between coats can also help with problems in the future as the solvent has time to dry before a new coat goes over it.
By using a little bit of retarder thinners in the clear will slow the drying process and help with gloss.

Its funny that someone said acrylic doesnt need clear.. Thats sooo funny. Forums are such a reliable place for correct information arent they.

I have some instructional videos on this subject try google my name to find them.

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
You've got that backwards i think.

But then again i may be wrong..........................gosh that means my 30 odd years in the industry have been a waste of time.

Please tell me how 2 PAC doesn't need to be cleared?

CustomSprayMods

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute Series 2
Please tell me how 2 PAC doesn't need to be cleared?

2pack has 2 systems. One has solid colours that need to be mixed with hardener and thinners only. it does not need clearcoat.
The other is a basecoat system it has solid and metallic/ pearls. It needs only thinners. It also needs a clearcoat to be sprayed over the top and hardener only goes in the clear.

CSM