Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How-To: High flow washable air cleaner make it yourself

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I'm going to give the air filter ago, I have some scraps of some acoustic foam (the expensive stuff!!) which is a bit more dense than the mattress stuff so I'm guessing it should do a good job!

I discovered last night that the paper filter in the airbox made the car perform better than the pod filter pulling cold air from above the headlight, so I've ditched the pod and am going to go the VS CAI + a foam filter path.

W

Wonderboy

my 1970 kombi had a whole huge oil tank about the size of a goddamn fish bowl with a chunk of foam in it, im sure it worked good cos the oil was pitch black.

anyway i threw it to the **** house and i dont even use an air filter lol, dust cant even fit through the butterly on the solex carby its about 2mm wide. a real powerhouse, its got about 30hp at the flywheel lol

Jamsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
Good idea! Lets hope the filter filters well enough.

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
I followed your advice with one sight difference I gutted the standard filter, and also an aftermarket one from holden. It had a wire mesh on top. So I used the frame off the standard box and the mesh off the remanufactured one.
A bit of epoxy resin.
Bobs your aunty

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
We used to do this foam trick with motorbikes and it worked a treat.

Good write up.

Shaundy

BMW Technician Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 BT1
I was wondering if anyone knows the proven/measure/seat of your pants performance figures of the Uni filter and Lukey filter when compared with the K&N. Only panel filters need apply.

yentzelburger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Wagon
Love the idea! I know what I'm gonna be doin 2moro arvo. Got a spare filter soes I'll give this a go.

v6vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 v6 vt commodore sedan
foam filters are good for stopping everything, more so with oil added, only thing is if you forget or fail at replacing them once they get a bit worn, they brake down and bits come off and into your engine, basically turn to mush with oil.. i use ramflo filters with foam elements on sidedraughts on my other car but dont oil them(dont use dusty roads much). basically im saying it pays to take them out and check them regularly. guess thats where k&n wins as you only have to pay for it once where paper and foam elements break down... but at the end of they day whatever suits your needs is what you need

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
i'll stick with my "proven" and researched k&n high flow panel filter thankyou very much. wouldnt trust any home made crap getting inside my motor...

Man you've got it bad to trust the K&N filter.
I had a K&N pod filter on a Modfied Mitsubishi Triton 4X4 with series 1 buick which was on it when I bought the car. Took it off and had a look into the Throttle body. It was thick with Dust. They are a shotty peice of junk. You'd want to check it and clean it regular and wash it out with gentle detergent or the K&N brand cleaner and make sure its oiled after. Also if you use FUEL to clean it thats a big killer. The cotton fibre hates it and they start falling apart. Wouldn't put K&N or any of those aftermarket brands using the cotton filter setup EVER EVER EVER again on any car. The crankshaft wasnt happy nor the cylinders. They were pitted and very sad. I rebuilt it to 3rd oversize and had the crank machined. At least put a thin foam filter in front of it. But it's your car.