Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to install aftermarket headunit into a VZ, please help!

Ryan272

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Hi guys,

first off, i have searched for this info but came up short, if anyone can direct me to an appropriate link ill delete the post :)

So anyway, ive got a single DIN headunit that i want to install into my vz, and i purchased the extra pocket and everything for it with the sleeve (its technically for a pontiac GTO but i was told that this is the correct pocket, which sounds pretty plausible as theyd all be the same headunit right?) So anyways i followed all of the instructions, pulled out the headunit, then the dash, then the cradle for the dash and went to install the pocket with the sleeve for the headunit, but ill be buggered if i cant get it to fit.
Ive tried everything. am i missing some special trick to installing it? it just seems like it is the wrong size for the gap thats in there, and just doesnt look right on the face.
If anyone could help, either with pictures or info on installing it would be greatly appreciated, ill try and upload a photo or two tonight if that will help, im currently driving around with half of my interior apart haha.
Thanks in advance!

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Are you sure its the right pocket?

Image058.jpg

Ryan272

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Man, that is the exact pocket i have haha. how did you get it to fit in? mine just doesnt fit around that plasic box thats in there? i took out the metal cradle and im trying to put that pocket it but its slightly to big for the plast box, if i lift it higher the bottom trim (the large trim that runs over the handbrake etc) doesnt sit flush.
sorry does that make sene?

madnuts

Lives around high voltage
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commonwhore
upload some pics so we can see

Ryan272

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Alright so basically my stupidity is almost immeasureable, but ive got the pocket to fit. Basically in my hungover/tired state i was trying to get the pocket to fit BEHIND the main fascia rather than into the front of it. Trust me, i feel as stupid as you probably think i am. Ill upload a pic tonight of my finally successful install haha.
Also had another question, after cutting out the holes in my parcel shelf for the 6x9s it seems that the mold doesnt quite match up with the cutout in the shelf itself. if that makes sense, the parcel shelf semi-covers the 6x9s in the shelf. Design flaw?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
You should have just been able to bash out the spot welds underneath the shelf for the 6x9s. Do you have the berlina/calais carpeted shelf with speaker grilles in it?

Vz-Rob, its an Eclipse CD5000, 2006 model.

Ryan272

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
yeah i did bash them out, i have a lumina which didnt have the grills in it, i had to buy those. so the shelf was totally carpeted over.

I'll upload a photo of that also.

Last edited: