Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to make your own air box!

Brados

Reaction score
North Adelaide,SA (uni) / Mildura, VIC (home)
Members Ride
VY Commodore Ute
Im currently in the process of doing this mod, Only difference is i picked up some Thermal shield foam from Clarke rubber to line the inside, comes with silver lining and adhesive already on it, only costs $25 per meter and when you only need 20cm makes it cheap and should really help keep the box temp down.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Very nice result. As said before the pipe isnt a huge issue but some aluminium pipe and some silicone elbows if you want a little more for performance and looks even though its probably only going to be 1/4 of a KW or less.

Also Ive seen silicon pipes made to order from $2-4 USD per meter on a Chinese website but minimum order is 500 meters so that doesnt really help for you, but then "performance companies" stamp a logo on it and sell the elbows for $25 and straight lengths from $20-50, huge profit from them.

VN Wagz

PshhhhHHT- **TuTuTuTu**
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6 Wagon
The best part about a CAI system isnt the POWAHHHH that you get (woo- 2rwkW if you're VERY lucky lol), its the ability to run a damn-near unrestricted flow path for ambient air, assuming you put a large free flowing filter panel or pod in your airbox.

Means that when you stomp the throttle at idle, when rolling along, whenever- you'll be getting colder air than you would from a stock setup or (god help us) an under-bonnet pod filter/hot air suction machine. This generally equates to a snappier throttle response, a few extra Nm (which is where the rear gains are) and a full hektik noise.

i ran a 90mm poly- pipe CAI setup on the wagon on the wagon for a few WSID runs, was all sprayed temp-proof black and with no other mods i dropped 0.5 seconds on average on all my runs. 60ft times (while crap) was where i got my gains. Gained 1mph :D

NightRIDA

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Exec
Here's how it looks now!! Brand new MAF + Genuine Rubber!!!!!! wouldn't change it.

Attachments

• Y piece and EGR 053.jpg
    Y piece and EGR 053.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 649
  • Y piece and EGR 061.jpg
    Y piece and EGR 061.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 791
  • Y piece and EGR 052.jpg
    Y piece and EGR 052.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 689