Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How To Paint your Engine Cover

AZ_SS_WAGON

Reaction score
Thanks for the step by step guide.
This is what I came up with

Attachments

• IMG_2061-1.jpg
    IMG_2061-1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_2072-1.jpg
    IMG_2072-1.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 433

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
Looks good but I think you should do something like this on the left side, maybe colour matched to the V8 logo:

Kudxh62.jpg

17UKN

Reaction score
Members Ride
17UKN - New Build
Sorry to drag up a old thread guys, but thinking about painting the rocker covers. But would like to fill in the runners/fins with body filler?

Does anybody see any issues with this? Heat wise? Can I use Normal body filler? Will it crack with the heat? Will it work? Just thought of doing something a little different.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
I just painted mine and I'm not happy with the colour, I want it red but the paint was more orange. Was going to get a different colour tomorrow, can I just paint over the three coats I have already done with a different colour?

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
I just painted mine and I'm not happy with the colour, I want it red but the paint was more orange. Was going to get a different colour tomorrow, can I just paint over the three coats I have already done with a different colour?

Yes i wasn't happy with the orange look to the red i used either. Was it VHT?

Your best bet is to get a colour coded spray can. Not sure if you have them in Australia but Resene will do a colour coded can for you.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Yes i wasn't happy with the orange look to the red i used either. Was it VHT?

Your best bet is to get a colour coded spray can. Not sure if you have them in Australia but Resene will do a colour coded can for you.

Yes it sure was VHT, high temp engine enamel to be exact. I want a really vivid glossy red, but yeah it was pretty much orange, even though it is called bright red. Hmmm colour coded can sounds like the go, not sure if I can get one in my town though. Was now thinking about just getting some cheap gloss red which is actually red this time, and not worrying about the high temp stuff, it should'nt need high temp anyway.
Anyway do you think I can just paint over what I have already done without any troubles, or do I need to sand back and start again?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
forgot all about this thread :p

the first time I did it, I did it in a grey, and didn't like it. just went straight over it. with the black
if I was to do it again id probably give it a bit of a scuff up with some sand paper. doesn't have to be back to the base, just a good once over.

also the silver that was on mine was just a rust covering paint (rustguard if I remember correct)
has been through a lot of kms and a lot of hot temps and so forth and still looks the same as the day it was applied.

tbh, you could just about use any paint as long as it can stand some form of heat. doesn't need to be VHT High Temp.
id just give some of those export paints from supercheap a go (which I did originally with the grey).
plenty of colours to choose from and if it doesn't hold up, its only a few $s error

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2
the pod filter you have is not in a proper heat guard , no heat gaurd what happens is the pod filter sucks in hot air causing , a less performing engine and burning more fuel, heat gaurds are not hard to make, i bought one on the commodore i have cost around $200 with pod filter included

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2
IMG_0316[1].JPG
i painted the alternator vents red as well so side on you can see red