Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove A pillar with air bag???

GLITRES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 6 litre
Hey guys and girls,
Need some help regarding the removal of the A pillar on the drivers side.
Due to mine having leather seats, I've been told they put the air bag in the pillar rather than the seats (that's what I was told)
I want to disconnect the air bag all together as I want to replace the pillar with another after market one that does not have air bags.
I rang 2 Holden dealers, and they were not very interested in helping me due to the fact that the VE passed safty guides with the air bag being there, so they don't wanna touch it.
Can anyone help me with a guide of how to remove the pillar and disconnect the airbag?
I've had a bit of a look, but don't want to be ripping and pulling things incase the air bag goes off.
Thanks

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Why do you want to remove it? It will keep throwing codes and SRS warnings...

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
Put gauges in the centre of the dash where the shitty speaker is

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
You want to WHAT !!!! If you should be so stupid as to remove such assembly, the windscreen will cave in, the roof line will sag, your vehicle will definitely be unroadworthy and as it will no longer comply with ADR requirements you will not be able to sell it - openly. Think you should have a serious talk with your parents, see what they thjink about it.

Any (ANY) modification(s), unless approved to ADR standards, that change/alter/modify any aspect of your vehicle from the ADR standards/requirements that existed at the time of manufacture of your vehicle are ILLEGAL.

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
haha well said Benboy.........but seriosly how many gauges do you want...if just 2 do whta i did and you can get kits for the top of centre of the dash....looks standard and wont stick out to cops coz im pretty sure piller gauges are illegal in any car

GLITRES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 6 litre
I can't put them in the centre as I have a Calais, and I can't find a guage holde that will fit the Calais model.

Why would I talk about this with my parents? What have they got to do with anything I do with my car? Lol

I know it is illegal, and all the rest, but it is still something I want to do (same as some people lower their car too low)
it's all up to the owner of the car (me) and what I want to do.

What I was asking, was how to remove it...

GLITRES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 6 litre
I will be REPLACING the pillar with an aftermarket one, so the roof lining and winscreen will not be falling out/off

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
I imagine it will be cliped in like a lot of the dash....you probly will also have to flick the little airbag square tab that should be in the middle of the piller out there may be a screw under it

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Two screws, I think, from memory (not actually with my car at the moment but will check later). One under a tab about half-way up and one underneath near the windscreen. Airbag won't go off, as the car needs to be moving to activate it. If you're worried, disconnect your battery.

Come on guys - don't be nannies! State Governments do that for us enough! If you don't want to modify your car, don't. He obviously does, and will no doubt wear any consequences associated with it! It's not like he's attaching an upside-down lawn mower to the front and cruising through school zones at twice the speed limit!