Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove throttle body?

poweredbycng

Reaction score
G'day all,

I'm suspecting that the throttle body on our VZ SV6 is in need of a good clean due to carbon deposits. Does anyone have the step-by-step instructions on how to remove the intake air ducting and the throttle body?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Dave

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Carbon deposits in your TB? :hmmm:

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Wouldn't be carbon deposits. Carbon is what remains after something organic is burned. Try a couple of tanks of Premium Unleaded. Should start to clean things up. Pays to run a tank or PU every two or three fills. PU is a better product with less 'nasties' and will also keep your valves, combustion chambers, plugs and oil a lot cleaner.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Carbon deposits in your TB? :hmmm:

Linky Take a read, Carbon build up in throttle bodys is very common. My old SR20 in my SSS Pulsar had a shitload of buildup when i used some Suburu upper engine cleaner.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Wouldn't be carbon deposits. Carbon is what remains after something organic is burned. Try a couple of tanks of Premium Unleaded. Should start to clean things up. Pays to run a tank or PU every two or three fills. PU is a better product with less 'nasties' and will also keep your valves, combustion chambers, plugs and oil a lot cleaner.

We run all our cars on 98RON PULP and LPG. Based on your logic, you'd expect the throttle bodies on our cars to be squeaky-clean, right? That couldn't be further from the truth, as I found out two weeks ago with our BA XT and BA XR6.

Upon removing the intake air duct, I cleaned the throttle bodies on both BAs using a couple of old rags and a can of Nulon Throttle Body Cleaner and ended up with two JET BLACK rags. Idle quality and responsiveness improved instantly.

Regards,
Dave

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I think you'll find those deposits are from crank case ventilation leaving oil type deposits on the inside of your manifold, best bet is trying that subaru upper engine cleaner, heard good and bad stuff but mostly good.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
I think you'll find those deposits are from crank case ventilation leaving oil type deposits on the inside of your manifold, best bet is trying that subaru upper engine cleaner, heard good and bad stuff but mostly good.

Nah, I'd rather remove the TB and do a full service on it myself (as I did with our Falcons).

So back on topic: does ANYONE??? have tips on removing the air ducting and TB from a VZ 3.6?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Regards,
Dave

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Anyone?

Regards,
Dave

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
Remove,
  1. radiator shroud
  2. intake ducting
  3. wiring connector to TB
  4. PCV clip to TB
  5. four bolts to TB
That should do it I think.
Replace gasket on install.
Voila!

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Could you give me more details on removing 1 & 2 please?

Cheers!