Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove throttle body?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
there is 4 clips at the front of the radiator shroud, use a flat blade to pry these up and remove,

then there is 2 8mm hose clamps on each end of the intake pipe from the tb to the maf, remove that piece,

then undo the wiring connector, the clip under the tb for wiring, and unbolt the tb,

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Thanks everyone for your information on the MAF Temp sensors etc. Can the throttle butterfly be opened by gentle finger pressure and cleaned in situ using cleaner and a lint free rag?
GM want $39 for the gasket, and my throtle body had a small amount of black stuff present. It wiped off easily with a rag wet with CRC MAF cleaner solvent. It was not gummy or sticky. I found the gasket between the airbox lid and the Bosch MAF/Temp unit was damaged and no gasket seal was present on the lower edge of the gasket mating surfaces. Maybe unfiltered air and rainwater have been slowly contaminating the sensors for the last 8 years. The CRC MAF cleaner did not dislodge any visible dirt/grit etc. I have a new gasket coming tomorrow ex Melbourne $7.50. Will see what the idle and wet weather performance do then.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Thanks everyone for your information on the MAF Temp sensors etc. Can the throttle butterfly be opened by gentle finger pressure and cleaned in situ using cleaner and a lint free rag?

Yeah mate it can

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Just use some gasket goo, the radiator shroud is easy to remove as described, undo the clamp for the intake pipe, the throttle body has 4X 10mm bolts holding it onto the manifold. The intake pipe can be moved out of the way, undo the connector in the throttle body and pull it off.

Use some electrical cleaner and maybe degreaser on the butterfly. Ensure it is dry before you reinstall. Give the mad a clean with some high quality electrical cleaner aswell. The butterfly can be moved as you please. Check for wear on the edges and oring's aswell while its off

Otherwise I have a ported throttle body for sale, 68mm ported to 72mm. $250 plus about 20 postage.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Hi all, A follow-up on my throttle body cleaning.

My previous post was about a gentle wipe down without moving the butterfly valve/plate.
Taking forum memebers' advice, (I had the plenum off the car), I sat down and gave it a good wipe out with CRC MAF cleaner on a lintfree rag. Yes there was gunk on the motor side of the butterfly plate. It came off fairly easily. Once I got rid of the small ridge of build up, I discovered that the butterfly plate did not return to a fully shut position. It tended to sit open by a degree or so. Thought I had a faulty unit, priced one at the wreckers $110 but not certain if the SV6 throttle body.
I also noticed a metal scuff mark on the throttle body near the through shaft as though at some time the butterfly plate had touched the body. I could not see any physical binding occcuring so put it down to assembly "carelessness" or product quality variations?

Spoke to a mechanic today and asked about the butterfly not fullly closing - said that was normal.
So, now back on the road. ( I had cleaned the MAF earlier). Starting sounds/feels smoother and idle is smoother.