Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove Tow Bar VE ?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
If someone want's to offload their towbar ,,, I need one !!
Whats the go with the parking sensors though ? will they not work at all while the tow bar is installed ?
Thanks.

Mine work fine.

bbb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Sv6 Wagon
If someone want's to offload their towbar ,,, I need one !!
Whats the go with the parking sensors though ? will they not work at all while the tow bar is installed ?
Thanks.

There is a setting in the dash computer that needs to be activated when you fit a towbar....i think it just decrease's the distance for the sensors as th towbar would poke out ---aprrox 200mm

bbb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Sv6 Wagon
and i agree with everone else i am fitting one next week...partly to tow the trailer but also for protection

deepblue

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve omega
and i agree with everone else i am fitting one next week...partly to tow the trailer but also for protection
have you fitted the tow bar I would like some pictures as I am in the dark on fitting mine?

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
have you fitted the tow bar I would like some pictures as I am in the dark on fitting mine?
You've replied to an 8 years old thread. I've fitted a tow bar to a VE. From memory about 5 years ago, it goes something like this. There is a phillips screw that you'll find at the top of the bumper inside the rear wheel arch. Remove that screw. You'll also find a scrivet (plastic plug) at the bottom of the wheel arch, and three of these scrivets across the rear of the back bumper - remove all of these. To remove the back bumper grab the bumper at the top inside the wheel arch and firmly pull it away from the side of the car - there are a number of clips that hold the bumper to the car body. Then do the same on the other side of the car, so at this point in time the bumper is still attached across the rear of the car, but hanging at the sides. Next from one side pull the bumper away from the rear of the car.
You'll then see there is an alloy bar across the back of the car remove it (don't chuck it, you need to reinstall it later). Remove the carpet in the boot so you can undo the bolts that hold the brackets in the chassis rails, towbar fits in the chassis rails in place of these.
Depending if your towbar is a 1200KG or 1600/2100 Kg bar you need to remove the mufflers if the bar is 1600/2100 Kg bar as there is a bolt that needs to be installed directly above the mufflers, in addition to the the bolts in the boot floor. If the bar is only the 1200Kg bar you don't need to remove the mufflers as there is no third bolt since the towbar doesn't reach that far into the chassis rails. When the towbar is installed refit that alloy bar removed earlier. The bumper needs to be cut to fit around the towbar - it is marked on the inside of the bumper - take your time and do this nice and clean with a Stanley type knife.
Refitting the bumper is the reverse of removing it. Clip it across the rear first then sides and refit the scrivets an the phillips screw at the inside top of the rear wheel arches.