Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Remove VZ Driver's Seatbelt

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Yeah and the sky will fall if you touch and electronic car.

Seriously, the only recommendation I can make is a new belt is far more preferable, but putting it in yourself is not a problem.

I've changed brakes since my first car and never had any issues. Ever. Even when emergency situations arose.

Good luck op.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
To answer your questions. Yes I have/do change my brake pads and discs the difference between you and I is I use NEW parts.
NEW brake pads, NEW brake discs. ive done this on many of my cars, VS, VT & VZ.
Its a job that needs to be done with a particular order of events. It may have taken me 3 hours to do an hour job but because it was my car and i was driving it afterwards i was pedantic and meticulous.

You on the otherhand may be doing a job being pedantic and meticulous with safety in mind but.... You are using a second hand part!. The end result is taken out of your hands and it is actually illegal to sell/ receive a second hand seatbelt.

So do yourself a favour and get a NEW belt fitted correctly.
Thank you to all those concerned about my safety.
I will inspect the new mechanism for any damage and test it for correct operation before I finalise the job.
A good quality, used seatbelt has to be much safer than my current, frayed seatbelt.

For those of you who do your own car repairs, here is something to consider -
Do you ever change the brake pads, master cylinders or disks yourself? Do you ever bleed the hydraulic fluid yourself? These items play a critical role in stopping the car. Based on the same logic as some of the repliers to my thread, should the job only done by a Holden dealer? Something to think about.....

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
hmm since when is it illegal to sell/ receive a second hand seatbelt. i buy and clean then resell hq belts all the time, i use to buy second hand belts from wreckers all the time, if its not frayed or damaged whats the big deal, im also in need of replacing my drivers side belt in my VY Calais because its frayed, which is why ive looked up this thread, you can get belts from any wrecker, what happen when holden no longer makes them, really has cars these day gone that weak things cant be reused

same as bolts in the lower front struts on the VY need to be replaced, really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never replace bolts like that in any of my old car

i still have 43 year old belts in my hq

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
if its not frayed or damaged whats the big deal

So, if it has been involved in a major accident and been stretched by extraordinary forces due to restraining an adult body, you would be quite happy to use this belt again? Or what about if the belt has ever been exposed to any chemicals or harmful substances at all (eg cleaning chemicals)?

As sure as **** - I wouldn't, as you have no idea what unseen forces or damage the assembly may been subjected to. This would also equally apply to any other restraining system mounting hardware.

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
its not all that

So, if it has been involved in a major accident and been stretched by extraordinary forces due to restraining an adult body, you would be quite happy to use this belt again? Or what about if the belt has ever been exposed to any chemicals or harmful substances at all (eg cleaning chemicals)?

As sure as **** - I wouldn't, as you have no idea what unseen forces or damage the assembly may been subjected to. This would also equally apply to any other restraining system mounting hardware.

geez dude, your assuming he's such a moron he couldn't tell the 2nd hander is worse than the one hes replacing.

imo, seat belts are VERY good at showing defects and deterioration and if u cant see anything wrong with it after carefull examination by eye, then its pretty unlikely there is anything wrong with it

GOOGLE "seat belt inspection"

There is also good argument (at least for a few of us) that the owner/driver will be more concerned and therefore vigilant and diligent than many (but not all) "professionals" or not

"people gonna do what they gonna do. help them or not, but NEVER try stop them" Jayson Black - 2001

TIMS28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8 HSV GTO
Hi people, I know this thread is old BUT I can't help myself. I'm one of the people that work on my cars from a 1991 Honda Civic, to a 2002 GTO Monaro (build no. 6, very special to me) to a 2013 BMW 320d, 2010 Toyota Corolla, 1998 Toyota Supra and finally a 2004 Mazda 3 SP23. What I'd like to say, is that nearly all cars work the same way. Forget the bells and whistles, they all work the same way. I change pads, discs, bleed brakes, reset warning lights, change steering wheels, pretty much everything and yes you do get RIPPED OFF from mechanics, if only you have the knowledge and confidence to do the job your self, you would be saving thousands. Most mechanics that I know are butchers, they do crappy jobs, ding up and scratch your car, dirty your seats and then you pay them for a job that was done with cheap inferior parts. Boy do I know mechanics. The dealerships are no better, they put on a 1st or 2nd year apprentice onto your vehicle so they can LEARN on mistakes. In regards to the new electronic stuff, it's not that hard, get yourself a scanner for your particular vehicle and the car tells you what's wrong with it, how easy is that. Some of you might get lucky and get a good mechanic, you can thank your lucky stars, there's not many of them out there. If I found a GOOD mechanic, then I'd probably use him/her as well, BUT I'm 50 years old now and I'm still looking for a decent mechanic and still haven't found one. THAT'S WHY I DO MY OWN STUFF. MY CARS HAVE NEVER SEEN A MECHANIC AFTER I PURCHASE THEM. ONLY FOR PINK SLIPS AND I RIGHT THERE WITH MY VEHICLE.

ForestVt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exp 3.6 05
Be assured that I dispense all the respect that I should dispense with the friends of this forum - one that most helps me here in Brazil. As owner of Holden VZ since 2005 and son of a professional "maintenance carburetors," it is quite interesting to observe the different points of view regarding this "delicate" operation.

It seems that the distance that separates us is very much greater than that which can be measured in kilometers.

Thanks to friends for that.

Rawrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais 3.8
Hi all,

Sorry to dig up a dead thread. I just don't want to create a new one about the same thing and bugger off and never reply to it, like I am one to do (sorry - I'll try to keep that to a minimum in 2020).

Now, here's my conundrum. I do all the work on my car myself because I *have* to - I can't afford a mechanic! That said, I went from having sweaty hands about doing a bloody oil change, to ripping engines out, and smashing them back in, to twin turbo 300ZXs that cram a quad cam V6 into a Corolla-sized engine bay. These cars are from the late 80s and they still have coil packs, cam phasing, the works. But I'm getting sidetracked - sorry.

The seatbelt mechanism in my venerable Calais with the cracked windscreen I'm promising myself to fix - is completely busted. It doesn't retract. Another thing was busted, too - my stupid arse by trying to drive literally nextdoor to the shop because my legs were sore. It was only one point, but I'd like to not do it again. I'd like to not waste the officer's time, and yup, mea culpa. I accept full responsibility for it, because the seatbelt is fully extended, and cannot retract, not even manually. So I bought one from the wreckers. I did look at it to make sure it wasn't frayed, didn't have any weird markings or stains, and of course, that it hadn't stretched as a result of the pretensioners going bang.

Again, I do all my work myself, and I am so pedantic about it, that no mechanic would have time for me. I do it only by what the factory service manual says, and not what I'm told may or may not be the case. Unless there is something wrong with the literature, or there is additional paperwork that falls outside the scope of the literature, then I read the bloody literature, and I am proud of my work. What little work I can afford to do to my old beastie, I do myself, and I do it well. I do it right the first time, every time.

So, about this wreckers seatbelt, then. That additional paperwork that falls outside the scope of the FSM? Well, this is that. Is it really illegal to use a second hand seatbelt in another chassis? I definitely understand the point of "you don't know where that's been", and that's what's got me here. How much is a brand new genuine article, generally? And is there seriously any problem with installing it myself? I use the same goddamn paperwork the 'pros' use, and I have nothing but time and tunes, to do the work. So where is the issue in that?

I'm not trying to be a smartarse, and I apologize profusely if I sound like that. I just want to understand you guys' point of view, that's all. I definitely understand the cop's point of view - the thing isn't safe. I definitely understand the point of the wreckers: if they can get rid of stock for $30, they will. I don't see a problem with that for most parts, but safety components, yeah, I might want to get them inspected. After all, the name of these wreckers, who shall not be named, leaves something to be desired. I mean, I've bought nice wheels and tyres from them, they're no problem. It's just the name...

Thanks all. Thanks for putting up with me, and thanks in advance for any and all info you'd like to shoot my way.

Rory

Last edited:

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Gee what a bunch of ninnies i dont think one person told him how to remove the trim like he asked ...i dont know if the seatbelts are the same as vy on a vz but you can seatbelts from supercheap for vy online on the parts selector for $160 each just select you car make year model and particulors then select parts guide think its in body parts or something ..i dont see anything wrong with a good finctioning belt from a wreckers myself if you want to get all safety perdantic proberly shouldnt touch anything on the car ad someone said dont take any notice of the ninnies on this thread

Unique_Username

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Crewman
So happy to have found this info. Frayed seatbelt needs to be replaced in order for the old girl to pass rego for the final time (new car due into the country in February) & I'll be effed if I'm paying the mechanic who refused to pass me $700 to change it out. Got a second hand one for $30 & I am having a crack this afternoon. Wish me luck!