Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Reset ECU to Clear Codes

Mark stuckings

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vt
I have a VT commodore and the power train light come on twice can I reset the power train so the light stays of

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
You could rip the light bulb out so you don't see it.
You might also like to wonder why it's coming on.

Mark stuckings

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vt
DIS.... basically replaced everything. What I was getting was stalling issues so I replaced the Cam Position Sensor and Crank Angle Sensor first and stalling still continued so I then went onto Spark Plugs, Ignition Module, Coils x3 and Leads (As most of these have never been replaced before besides the Spark Plugs).

I fixed the Stalling issue but now I am getting a slight Misfire when motor is cold and hot. So I want to reset the ECU to see if anything changes.

But seeing your list of Code 49 with Cam Position Sensor and with the Note of 'Does NOT illuminate the Powertrain Checklight'.... does make me think about the wiring for the Cam Posi. Sensor.
You could rip the light bulb out so you don't see it.
You might also like to wonder why it's coming on.
Would it be because I have two different sized wheels on the commodore.I have 15inch wheels on the front and 16inch on the back

Mark stuckings

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vt
No it just the light coming on.I have no error message on messages on the dash.Some body told me it was the light to do with check your engine light

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
have a VT commodore and the power train light come on twice can I reset

We have a VT, that engine with electrical symbol comes on intermittently for 15 years.

I notice it comes on after 10 mins of driving, but it might decide to go off too.

We have been to Oldfields Holden (Dealer) and they could nit find anything wrong. Charged for diagnostic and ecu reset. They told us to come back anytime and book in for a re$et. It is surprisingly common.

What I find surprising is they thought we would go back.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I have a VT commodore and the power train light come on twice can I reset the power train so the light stays of
You can reset the error codes, just by removing the 10 amp engine control fuse, in the engine bay for a few minutes.
This disconnects the constant power to the ecu and resets it.
It saves disconnecting the battery and having to reset the radio ect.

If there is a problem, the light will still come back on and log an error code.
Best get it checked, to see what the problem is.

Mark stuckings

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vt
Got the engine light checked out today and they said that I have to replace the spark plugs and the leads they where causing the engine light check light to come on

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
We have a VT, that engine with electrical symbol comes on intermittently for 15 years.

I notice it comes on after 10 mins of driving, but it might decide to go off too.

We have been to Oldfields Holden (Dealer) and they could nit find anything wrong. Charged for diagnostic and ecu reset. They told us to come back anytime and book in for a re$et. It is surprisingly common.

What I find surprising is they thought we would go back.

The problem is the voltage regulator which is bolted onto the side of the alternator. These can be picked up at a Holden dealer for about $90. It's a really quick fix. If you can't access the voltage regulator which is where the main DC cable also bolts onto the alternator then remove the drive belt, remove the DC cable and undo the three bolts and remove the alternator. Take out the two screws holding the voltage regulator and lift it out and replace with the new one.

Guaranteed to fix the battery light coming on and off. It is an intermittent problem. Eventually if it gets worse the whole instrument panel will light up as the voltage regulator goes berserk. Change it.