Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to tell if i have an lsd

Dinwoodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Forester GT, ET Turbo Pulsar, VS 5.0L Ute
So i was at my Father in law's place tonight with my 5.0L VS Ute and we got on the topic of LSD's, I said my ute has one, and he begged to differ!

I've had the car over 12 months now and everytime i've let it go lose its spun 2 wheels always never one! So to prove his point he jacked one of the back wheels off the ground and spun it, he said if it had an LSD it wouldn't spin.

So to argue my point we had a VS Clubsport sitting next to mine so we jacked that up too and it did exactly same as mine, the wheel spun. His reply was that they were both single spinners.

SO to argue my point again we jacked up a 2009 VE SV6 Ute which is "Meant" to have an LSD and it did exactly the same as my ute and the clubby. SO . . .

To be 100% positive i said that only Google.com could give us the real answer but i was wrong, i couldn't find anything there so here i am asking the question!

How can i tell if i have an LSD in my ute? I've searched but have not found the info i need through past posts.

I always thought that if i jacked the whole rear end of the car up and spun one wheel as if the car was moving forward the oposite wheel should spin the same direction if you have an lsd fitted . . But **** i've been wrong before so someone please correct me!!

Cheers Jordz!

Lady Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais
Its either a ****ed diff or and LSD, don't think clubbys came with LSD's...

Dinwoodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
who cares, if both wheels are spinning assume you got one until you see different.

Dan

Wow dude awesome answer thanks very mcuh for your help (Sarcasm)

I care beacuse if you've ever tryed to go sidewards around a corner with a single spinner and had it suddenly spin 2 you know that you would be facing the wrong way before you know what the **** has just happened. . .

If i KNOW i have an lsd i know its going to remain true in the arse end! So i won't assume i've got one

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the rear is jacked up on one side, the wheel thats up should need a fair amount of force to turn on a LSD.You shouldnt be able to turn the wheel by hand.(unless the LSD is completely stuffed)You are right,if the whole rear is jacked up,both wheels on a LSD will turn in the same direction when one is turned by hand.A standard open wheel diff's wheels will spin in opposite directions when one is turned by hand.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
crawl under the car, if it says high performance on the diff its LSD

Dinwoodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the rear is jacked up on one side, the wheel thats up should need a fair amount of force to turn on a LSD.You shouldnt be able to turn the wheel by hand.(unless the LSD is completely stuffed)You are right,if the whole rear is jacked up,both wheels on a LSD will turn in the same direction when one is turned by hand.A standard open wheel diff's wheels will spin in opposite directions.

Wicked man :thumbsup: Thanks for the info!

Gunzero

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Clubsport R8/07 D40 ST-X
well from what i know if both wheels spin the same way it is LSD one thing how hard is it to turn the wheel you have jacked of the ground if it is hard you have LSD cause thats what is does on my mums car and it is factory LSD even has it on the back of the diff HIGH PERFORMANCE LSD and when you jack one wheel of the ground it spins but it wont free spin needs to be turned by hand and iit is hard to turn

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
To test a LSD for wear you jack up one wheel,handbrake off,trans in neutral,and you connect a torque wrench to the axle and it should take a minimum of around 60 - 70 Nm to turn the axle.

SENNY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator LS1
crawl under the car, if it says high performance on the diff its LSD

No if the diff says high performance does not mean LSD has to say L.S.D .. mine said high performance and it was only a single spinner. When it says High performace it just means it a stronger because its V8