Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Tune Gas Converters !!!!

J

Jerka078

whant to know how to tune them ??

what makes them hard to start ???

steweyau

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
to tune a gas car........in rough terms........stick an analyzer up the exhaust and check the unburnt gases. Preferably while moving. Apparently there are some screws on the mixer to adjust (while moving). the local bus company had buses on gas. The mecahnic would sit on the engine cover with a screw driver an the analyzer and tune from there while doing 80 kph. The tuning changes with load.

what makes them hard to start? where do you start???
plugs, leads need to be in good nick. once they go wrong life gets tricky.
not enough gas will make it hard to start. My dad has a 77 caddilac on gas it has two converters to get enough gas to the engine (7 litre). He also has to turn the ignition on three times to get enough gas into the motor. Each turn the car gets a shot of gas. There is no gas going into the engine when it is cranking. the gas system is on when there is spark.

i guess it comes down to not enough fuel or not enough spark.

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
I "tuned" my gas converter not too long ago. The car runs so much better since I took to the gas system with a screw driver and some spanners. Made a huge difference and the power increase is remarkable.
Here's what to do........
  1. Manually shut off the gas lines at the valve mounted on the tank
  2. Lift the bonnet and grab your tools
  3. Take off all of the gas and coolant lines
  4. Now, do what I did ( pay close attention now ) remove every single piece of the gas system mounted in your car
  5. Unbolt the tank and you're done!! Time for a few beers :thumbsup:
All I can say is, what a bloody difference :w00t:

VY2ENJOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Family Truckster
Gas systems are notoriously had to start first thing as the gas comes to the converter as a liquid and had to be transformed into a gas, for this you need heat and that is why the converted is plumbed into your cooling system (now a heating system in this case), now obviously first thing your car is cold, therefore it produces very small amounts of gas, thus having to turn the car over more than normal to get the required amount of gas into your cylinders to start up, this is also the reason most gas cars notice a performance increase when the motor is warm.

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
What type of gas convertor is on your car, cause there is so many different types of systems out there and each system is different to adjust, some systems use primers to start and some use vacuum. I cant tell u to much until you know what type of system u have. And is it computer controlled system.

spannerhand

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series 1 v6 auto
howdy Its a LANDI fitted to a 95 Ford NF fairlane and the stepper motor has been replaced with a manualy adjustable power valve, just not sure wich is the sensitivity and idle adjustmentson the converter and how

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Gas systems are notoriously had to start first thing as the gas comes to the converter as a liquid and had to be transformed into a gas, for this you need heat and that is why the converted is plumbed into your cooling system (now a heating system in this case), now obviously first thing your car is cold, therefore it produces very small amounts of gas, thus having to turn the car over more than normal to get the required amount of gas into your cylinders to start up, this is also the reason most gas cars notice a performance increase when the motor is warm.

No, the amount of gas needed for start up wont be a strain on the convertor when it is cold, its just cold gas mixtures are harder to light.

odysseyesm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 BT1
I'm pretty happy with how easy it is to start on gas - need to crank it a few times but it's all good.
Get it tuned from the installer then modify the fuel system. That way the gas computer will reflect the changes to the fuel system - doesn't it?

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
I'm pretty happy with how easy it is to start on gas - need to crank it a few times but it's all good.
Get it tuned from the installer then modify the fuel system. That way the gas computer will reflect the changes to the fuel system - doesn't it?

How the f**k did you grave dig a 4 year old post?

howdy Its a LANDI fitted to a 95 Ford NF fairlane and the stepper motor has been replaced with a manualy adjustable power valve, just not sure wich is the sensitivity and idle adjustmentson the converter and how

READ THE DAMN DATE OF THE POST

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS