Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How well has your VY Held up ?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hi Guys.

Interested to know how well your VY has held up over the decade. List the Problems you have had since you have owned it, Ill Start with what i have had to do. Car has done 233k, owned a painful 2 years.

Radiator, Power steering pump, Water Pump, Coil Packs & DFI, Lifters, Manifold Gaskets, Rocker Gaskets, Heater tap, Hand Brake Handle, Headlight switch, Power Window Switches, Gear Selector Button, Left rear Window Switch, All 4 Doors have leaked, Rear Boot leaks, Remote stops responding after heavy rain even though all electrics are clean and dry & new remote, Head lights faded to yellow & require a clean every few months.

Now I Have a VX thats 1 year older, Has 236K on the clock, Owned 5 years, Only required a $20 Idle pully.

I Dont flog the VY, never have flogged my cars. I can only think the car has had a very hard previous life and its all decided to let go while i have owned it.

Be interested to know :)

Last edited:

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
no issues to report after nearly 10 great years of ownership other than a new reverse light switch. Still looks brand new.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I have owned mine since October last year and I've just had the air con pump replaced.. No issues at all..

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Never had a single issue, 160k, had it since new, and still looks like new too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I had the VY for four and a half years. Purchased with 32k on the clock in Nov 2007 and sold with 174k in May 2012.

Wtihout doubt the most reliable car I have ever owned. The only components needing replacement were the air con modulator (a known weak point)- $80. Shocks all round between 95k and 110k - coupla hundred, aerial mast - $32 and one tail-light globe. Front discs around 120k - $95 the pair from Holden.

The driver's seat lower trim busted as they all do but I repaired mine and it never failed again. The repair was stronger than the original design. The plastic rod in the handbrake wore out at 165k but I fixed it at no cost with a bit of grinding to the lever and strong wire.

The only down side was the poor quality of the brake discs. By the time the car was traded, they needed replacing again.

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
I've had mine since November, previous owner was a mature lady and took exceptionally good care of it.

I drive it like a grandfather and have once and once only in that entire time ever put my foot to the floor, on a country road - In the over taking lane next to a typical DH WA driver who decides to speed up from their previous plod along at 10km/h below the limit to 10km/h above the limit prior to the over taking lane ending. Coincidentally it's also the only time I have extended my middle finger in the said vehicle in a rather animated fashion. I must say other road users behavior is noticeably different depending on what car you choose to drive on the day. Other than other Holden drivers, everyone else seems to treat you like a second class citizen.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Well good to see you guys have had reliable cars, I have to say though its never let me down, I have done 60k in 2 years so a lot of traveling. But still for just freeway KMs its had to have alot of work done :( Just the luck of the draw. Just a bit over it lol Just the luck of the draw with used cars, The amount i have replaced it should be good for at least a few years now. Its always Serviced every 10k with Good Penrite Fully synthetic Oils & GM filters etc. I dont skimp out on quality parts when i replace them so fingers crossed.

DTM87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chevrolet Lumina S V6 (VY Commodore)
Ive just had mine nearly 6 months, bought it with 121,XXXkm and its now up to 135,XXXkm. Serviced regularly and a few things have come up since owning it. But still runs really well. So far ive replaced the window switch, engine mounts, major service. And still need to do the brakes, control arm bushes, radius rod bushes, tie rods and the rear shocks (probably do the fronts as well) But seems to be a little over priced here so pricing them at home to be sent over.

Strangely i also have to replace the rear subframe thanks to previous owner(s) bending one bracket thats welded to the subframe, still sratching my head on how it happened.

Few other issues that have arisen since owning this car, had aircon regassed (thats a must here, and still works well during the summer here 48C+ normally during the day) Sunroof has stopped working (thankfully closed :spot on:) Would only use it 3-4 months of the year. Heater control moves but the air constantly stays on cold. and the LHR window does not operate from main switch.
But netherless im still pretty happy with it, gets me to work and around the place with no problems, thats why i bought it. Can withstand the brutal Arabian summer.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I've owned my 25th Anniversary model since late 2008 and have only had a few issues, nothing serious
1. Rear door leaked in heavy rain, fixed with a new plastic dust shield glued on better,
2. Power steering shudder fixed by replacing the fluid,
3. Brake shudder fixed with new discs,
4. Inlet manifold came loose from cylinder heads just tightened it up,
5. Coolant not returning to radiator, bent tabs on cap fixed
6. Compartment under radio would not shut fixed with a bit of packing material inbetween compartment body and the arm that locks it open and closed.
7. Some issues with central locking doors sticking on really hot days or really cold rainy days
8. Drivers door seal squeaks and leaks at the top a bit.

Overall just minor issues really though some are annoying but very happy with the car and have just had to do all the regular servicing myself.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
I've had my vy clubby for a year now with 83k on it now currently at 101 and only thing done is the AC receiver/drier and strut top mounts.