Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

i cant see

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Windscreen sikaflex 255?

Admitting i used the wrong thing is hard but i did. Went to auto 1 and got sikaflex 255extra and a wax and grease remover

WTG. Good decision which you wont regret in the long run. Just be real careful removing the screen again ;)

I remember replacing a windscreen in a GTR Torana. We had to connect two ends of a wire that ran through the rubber seal to a battery. It heated the wire and melted the seal to the body of the car and the glass.

You can still buy those. They are about 30 bucks each for a roll about 3m long, supposed to be a universal fit. I used one to fit a screen on a 94 Corolla a few months ago. They arent as messy as sika but dont hold as well IMO, and might be a bit thick for modern cars, not sure.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Windscreen is out. Very messy. Got wax and grease remover. Skow going gettin all the silicone off tho

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
Pretty simple job really.
Not sure why it would be ILLEGAL to change your own windscreen, considering you can change your own brakes,rotors,engines etc.

My old VS wagon has a windscreen that is difficult to see out of due to its age and sandblasting over the years.
I have another VS here for parts and it has a new windscreen which I will be swapping over myself.

Some sealants on the market are better than others when it comes time to replace a windscreen, and this is where the Sikaflex 255 at around $35 a cartridge can be worth the investment.
Easier to cut out down the track when replacing the windscreen.
Nothing really wrong with many other general purpose silicones, particularly ones made for glass, but it will be harder to clean up the area down the track if need be.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
The only reason I would not fit a windshield myself is, that if you fit it incorrectly and the windshield is being stressed is will break very easily. just a small rock or a bump in the road could set it off.

Both my car last cars that had to have new windshields, I had them remove it. Then I drove it home with no windshield. fixed the rust and painted it and took it back to have them fit the new windshield. Drama man.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Well the windscreen is back in... Again. Lol. Used sikaflex 255extra this time. Managed to get the rubber seal in aswell. Used gaffa tape all over it to hold it in place. And i preped it properly. You happy now guys? I know i am lol. How long does it take to cure? The sikaflex i mean. Would like to clean it up tonight before work tomorrow.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Takes about 2.5hours from the pro's. But I have no clue what they use.

Leave your window down a tad, so when you close the door is doesn't blow the wind shield out!

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
yeah colder will slow it down a little. A few hours is plenty with the tape and stuff, you should be able to drive it after that, no worries. Just try to avoid too many emergency stops for a day or so, it actually takes a day or more to completely set.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Try not to drive it until the next day.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
If you use the sikaflex primer, it'll cure quicker. You brush it on both surfaces before applying the sealant. It gives a stronger bond also.