Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I Had to Use Engine Flush Again

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
hmmm When I start my car up in the morning I get the oil engine light on for a second then goes but engine sounds fine.

mines a v6 thats never needed an oil flush as i change the oil every 5000kms since the car rolled out of factory when my parents bought it well I thought sludge and **** in engine comes from changing oil once a year or similar ?

could it be that its WINTER <-- ??? and you engines cold lol

or this happens even if you stop engine for few minutes and start again ?

if your sumps full of crap and your oil pump has to work harder which I guess would stuff it all...

Im having other problems with my car since im driving it everday 35km's to work and home each day is takin its toll heheh

but what im I to do .. sell my car for peanuts then buy someone elses problemed car ??? this is why Im still throwing $$$ at my car to keep it in new condition.

when petrol hits $2 a litre then im getting a R1 honda or sumfin hehehhe

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
a modern style flush shoulde't hurt the engine:thumbsup:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I used flush in mine each oil change for the last couple years, I had to since my oil light would come on at some very unhappy times when I fist got the car and there was a huuuuuuuge amount of sludge in the engine. I have it pretty much sorted now but it took a while. It's still not clean enough for me to trust running a diesel oil with heaps of detergents in it but that day will arrive sooner or later for the big final clean up :p

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Use an oil rated C_ as well as S_ (ie a diesel and petrol rated oil. There are plenty around). Over time will do the same thing as the engine flush.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
hmmm When I start my car up in the morning I get the oil engine light on for a second then goes but engine sounds fine.

mines a v6 thats never needed an oil flush as i change the oil every 5000kms since the car rolled out of factory when my parents bought it well I thought sludge and **** in engine comes from changing oil once a year or similar ?

could it be that its WINTER <-- ??? and you engines cold lol

or this happens even if you stop engine for few minutes and start again ?

if your sumps full of crap and your oil pump has to work harder which I guess would stuff it all...

Im having other problems with my car since im driving it everday 35km's to work and home each day is takin its toll heheh

but what im I to do .. sell my car for peanuts then buy someone elses problemed car ??? this is why Im still throwing $$$ at my car to keep it in new condition.

I dont think the V6 has the same oil pickup issue of the V8. My V6's will get lifter clatter on startup when the oil has had it.

The V8 starts fine once hot no problem. I'd drive to work 3 kms and the car would sit still all daya and come 4:00pm knock off time the oil light would stay on for a second or 2.

Now that I have run a Wynns flush through and done an oil change, car runs fine.

So some people say no to flush - but for now the V8 gets a flush if the oil light stays on - even for a second - it gives me the shivers. I've seen what happens to a car without oil pressure. BANG. with bits n peices all over the place.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
R1's are not economical. A Hyundai Getz is more economical than an R1.

Plus, the way they test R1's for fuel efficiency is not the way most people ride them. The best commuter is always a naked 250-400. But for cheap speed, of course the R1.

Where else can you do 0-100 in less than 3 seconds for less than 20 grand.

Btw, Yamaha's an R1. Honda have the CBR's. All beatiful bike, as are the Gixxers and Kwaka's.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Ok this might sound stupid but might be worth a try . Diesel is a good degreaser . Maybe of you drain your sump and fill it up with diesel so it is over the oil pick up and let it sit overnight then drain it out . might be worth a try , easier than pulling the sump off

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I used flush in mine each oil change for the last couple years, I had to since my oil light would come on at some very unhappy times when I fist got the car and there was a huuuuuuuge amount of sludge in the engine. I have it pretty much sorted now but it took a while. It's still not clean enough for me to trust running a diesel oil with heaps of detergents in it but that day will arrive sooner or later for the big final clean up :p

Greenfoam, a Diesel oil is no where near as strong as a Engine oil flush. If your oil has a S rating as well as a C rating, this mean it is a diesel oil as well. But the higher the diesel rating the better Ci4 etc. I try to use a diesel oil every 3rd change, or an engine oil with a high diesel rating. Teh diesel oil is more subtle in cleaning. Run it for up to 5000 if you like. The best ones to use are Mobil Delvac 15W-40(a very good all round oil) Repco Diesel which is a few dollars cheaper but the same as the Delvac. They are both SL rated as well. Shell Rotella is meant to be a top quality diesel but i think its very strong and may not carry a high S rating. Nulon Diesel Oil is good as well and i have used it a few times too.

I have never needed and been brave enough to use a oil flush, i always imagine it willl leave some behind screwing up the new oil stopping the additives from bonding to the surfaces etc. The flush is basically Kero isnt it ?

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
Ok this might sound stupid but might be worth a try . Diesel is a good degreaser . Maybe of you drain your sump and fill it up with diesel so it is over the oil pick up and let it sit overnight then drain it out . might be worth a try , easier than pulling the sump off

Go right ahead, people have been doing it for years... but dont completely fill up, just put around 400ml's in your oil and start the car for 10 minutes or so, then drain it.. if your really keen, i now a bloke that dumps the old oil, fills up with new oil and diesel, dumps it, then fills back up again!