Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I snapped one of the bolts on my water pump? How do I remove it?

VRcommondoor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Stock VR 3.8V6 (Petrol/Gas)
Hi all....

After replacing the heater tap that was leaking in my car, 2 new coolant leaks appeared. One at a little plastic bung at the bypass or whatever its called and the other at the base of the thermostat housing. Thermostat + gasket replaced and bung replaced. We have pressure.... yay!

1 minute

2 minutes

drip drip drip..... %&#$ this @!#$

This time it seems the pressure build up has been too much for the aged water pump gasket. So I replace the gasket and fill her up about an hour later. Slight drip from the bottom of the water pump. OK... getting there I say and decide to further tighten the bolts holding the water pump. Not using a torque wrench and being a little heavy handed I went too far and snapped the top off the bolt.

Gutted! Ready to roll it in to the local river!

How the f%$# do I get the bolt out now?

Anyone, please?

Sharpie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp S1 Exec
remove old water pump and pray that the bolt protrudes the timing cover soas u could remove it with a set of vice grips, if not youll have to remove the whole timing cover assy. boooo.

Lance2560

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6exec
there's a tool that screws onto the end of your drill, where u can drill into the broken bolt and remove it, i snapped my waterpump bolt trying to get the bolt off, supercheap or anycar place sells the peices preety cheap

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
remove old water pump and pray that the bolt protrudes the timing cover soas u could remove it with a set of vice grips, if not youll have to remove the whole timing cover assy. boooo.

The above post will be your best bet if its not snapped off level with the timing cover.If it is, drill a hole in the centre of the snapped bolt,then use an "easyout" to remove the rest of the broken bolt.Easyouts are cheaply available at auto shops and tool shops etc.Easyouts have left hand threads so as it screws anti-clockwise into the broken bolt and tightens up,it grabs onto the broken bolt and screws it out.

Last edited:

VRcommondoor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmm... Lots of fun! Thanks I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how I go. Then I suppose its, second verse same as the first... minus the over tightening of the bolt, haha. I will actually buy some new bolts too, as 2 of them were a bit corroded and I imagine they might all be a bit fatigued.

This "one thing after another" business, is driving me mad.............

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
put some head stud sealint on the bolts too, this will stop corrosion and leaks.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
The above post will be your best bet if its not snapped off level with the timing cover.If it is, drill a hole in the centre of the snapped bolt,then use an "easyout" to remove the rest of the broken bolt.Easyouts are cheaply available at auto shops and tool shops etc.Easyouts have left hand threads so as it screws anti-clockwise into the broken bolt and tightens up,it grabs onto the broken bolt and screws it out.
Drill it out with a reverse drill bit too.

Also be careful with easyouts, they are extremely brittle and if you snap one off in your hole you wont be able to drill it out.

VRcommondoor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers guys. I did manage to get it out with vice grips as there was about 8mm left of the bolt to grab. Also ended up replacing water pump. Wasn't leaking from the gasket or around the bolt but from a little weep hole beneath the pump. The seals inside were stuffed apparently. After doing all this the cooling system is working well. Then this morning I went to start it and it wouldn't start. So begins the next chapter in this cars sad life, lol...
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...roblem-wont-start-backfiring-help-needed.html

Thanks again for all your help.