Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I want more power from my 308

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
to go VN heads from the old style heads you need to change the following;

Manifold
Exhaust
and Cam to suit because the intake and exhaust valves are arranged differently obviously
someone also pointed out that you will need the rocker covers too... I'm not sure if theres clearance issues with them against the booster, there shouldnt be but it pays to ask the question.

its all big bucks, if i had my time again I'd go injection I think.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
ding ding ding, supercharge it, you know you wanna :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) spend the cash :):):):):):):):)

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
If I chucked on VN heads, how much power increase would I get with them and a new cam?

kellyvk

kellyvk
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5L/ vk commodore 6
I want more power from my motor but don't want to super charge it or NOS it. If you also want to drive it on the street, i wouldn't suggest nos, and dont put it in your motor if it's stock.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
If I chucked on VN heads, how much power increase would I get with them and a new cam?

It would probably go nearly as hard as my car...
go a Crane 286, and Crane lifters, dont ever mix crow and crane lifters and cams... The VN heads are pretty good straight out of the box and theres more to be had with just a bit of mild porting, they already have the big valves and induction hardened seats for ULP too.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
My first thoughts a while ago was GM lifters off ebay, Crow cam, new chain and heavy valve springs. What manifold can I use? Would a 5 ltr VN manifold bolt on with 308 gaskets? What about the exhaust? I would need different headers?

Last edited:

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
Do not mix and match lifters and cams... if you use a crow cam use crow lifters and if you use a crane cam use crane lifters.... its that simple, they are designed to be used as a package and I know of one engine that ran a couple of cam lobes because this advice wasnt adhered to.

RE your other questions, RE-read my earlier post.

ThongyVL

Reaction score
Website
www.thongysautoparts.com
Members Ride
97 VS Acclaim
Change your ignition system, Replace your coils with a MSD SS Blaster coil and also get a MSD Ignition Control unit. I can supply you those for $500 plus postage.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
Change your ignition system, Replace your coils with a MSD SS Blaster coil and also get a MSD Ignition Control unit. I can supply you those for $500 plus postage.

waste of money... and before I get flamed I had that stuff lying around and run it in my VK and it made ****all difference power wise except made it start a little easier.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
waste of money... and before I get flamed I had that stuff lying around and run it in my VK and it made ****all difference power wise except made it start a little easier.

Not to flame you mate but when i put my msd kit on (dizzy, coil, 6al) it did improve my pick up a little. also it made tuning the dizzy to suit my cam far easier. though for the money you could get more power with other mods, i just was getting sick of points.