Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ideas for what commodore i should buy

TheNewKid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
so im seeing that your opinions are leaned towards the VY, which i am more then happy with because i was thinking more VZ because they are the newer model to the VY with the same shape which i love!
and suggestion on series though?

and a little bit off topic of first car here, but does anyone know the answer as to why you are not permitted air bag suspension on a car in queensland?
i know the load assist for towing over 4500kg and all that already.

TheNewKid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
So you all seem to be suggesting the vy which is good because i was thinking the vz for the newer model and i like the shape
But what model VY do you all suggest? ups and downs of that model?

But does the vz sv6 come with an LSD? and whats the advantages of changing the diff gears? and what ratio should i change it to?

But a little off topic here, does anyone know the answer as to why in queensland you are not allowed air bag suspension? i know about the load assist for towing 4500kg + already

Thank you for everyone who replied to my post! very appreciated!

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Vy and vz is same shape, minus some small details, but as far as reliability goes, easy, hands down win to vy.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
If you want reliability stay away from holden.. If you want fast, buy a fast car, if you want nice looking.. Commodore with some nice wheels and lowered.

TheNewKid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
I would like a reliable car but i love my holdens
I was considering mabye an import car but they would attract alot more unwanted attention from police plus i dont see the point in buying a non turbo'd one

Im really after a car that isnt the fastest on the strip but i can enjoy when i put the foot down, and that when i arrive someone may turn their head to, and a nice sound system and exhaust.

DAZ88P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
Don't let impulsive turn you off, from my experience they are reliable as anything else. As with all cars proper maintenance is key.

Enjoying putting your foot down can come from a manual Barina, excel, Getz...ha that way you can put your foot down and enjoy without losing your licence within the week. Honestly driving little manuals can be a lot of fun and cost a hell of a lot less for fuel, rego, insurance... Rev out a full gear in a commodore and your doing 70-80km/h. I love punting my GF's barina around, the lesser weight feels much nicer when cornering. Only thing is i cant drive it with shoes on as peddles are too close together. However if you do a lot of highway km's then commodore would be nice.

Sound system by all means but as for a head turner I would advise thats the last thing you want to be doing as that p plate on will give you enough attention as it is.

I would recmmend the VY as well, and personally would aim for lower km's executive as I'm guessing you will probably change head deck and wheels etc and doubt you are fussed on airbags or cliamte control (I rarely used/use my climate control on my VT or VZ berlina). also with less electrics comes less things to break.

All the best, as mentioned above factor in the cost of maintenance, rego and insurance when purchasing. No point spending mroe if you cant afford to keep the thing on the road.

TheNewKid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Yer thats what i had thought because all cars are different.

Im planning to buy a cheap turbo silvia or something else thats a RWD and a 4 cylinder turbo.

Yer i can understand that

Everyones saying the VY but im really leaning into the vz sv6 for the 190 alloytec, but im planning to change alot of the interior. But im not to worried about the electronics breaking because i know a fair few auto electricians but i wouldnt use the climate control much, id set it to a certain degree and just leave it there.

But thanks again to everyone who replied and gave some tips, it was very appreciated and took it all into consideration, thanks!