Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ideas/ opinions for my vs ute

brando93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
hey people, ive got a 1998 vs v6 ute and am currently on my L's. I dont drive it much at the moment but seeing as I get my license in december its about time i get everything in order so i dont end up with a pretty yellow bit of adhesive on my windscreen and so that its nice n comfy. Just asking for some thoughts and opinions on it.

- I'v just got new tyres that are to be fitted, bargain out the paper ;)
- My tail lights are faded so i need new ones, i know everyone hates the altezza's but im tossin up between them and clear taillights, what do people think?
- I'v got a park light out so im replacing them, does anyone know what globe they are?
- My head lights work but i get s**t all distance out of them, even on high beam, cars lowered, is it likely to need brighter globes or just the angle is out of whack?
- Can i get stickered for mace plenum spacers?
- My aircon doesnt seem to get very warm in winter and now that summers on its way its not very cold either, what do i need to do?
- Handbrake doesnt work at the moment, it was like that when i got it, does it just need adjusting?
- My speedo is out by what we worked out to be around 10% because of the 345 LSD the previous owner put in. if im doing 60 real speed, it shows im doing 65-66, if im going at 100, it reads 110. How can i resolve this, is it something to do with a cog or gear in the speedo?

I know they are all little things and im just being fussy but iv got to fix them sooner or later and its not worth getting defected over the little things. I havnt done much to the car, its pretty much as is from the previous owner. id appreciate some feedback on what to do, also what else to look out for to make sure i keep her on the road, be nice :) iv got pics on my profile thingo if you want to have a squiz at it. il be away most of this week but il respond when i have the chance.

cheers, Brandon.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
go roller rockers over spacers, nearly same money must better performance gain, get an aircon place to check for gas leaks, directly underneath the car where the handbrake is usually an adjustment for it not 100% on ute though, just need tightening, obviously make sure the car is supported and not going anywhere before letting it down to desired level to adjust,

brando93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
cheers for that mate il give it a go when im back home

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
- standard tailights are m preferred option :)
- headlights probably need to be adjusted up to get the spread right. Is the front lower than the rear?
- If its not getting very warm, check cooling system out, so flush it, new thermostat and check the heater tap and temprature control rod is actually moving to the hot area properly and not damaged / stripped of its thread.
The air cond needs to be checked out my ac mechanic to check for leaks, although probably just needs a regas
- If the handbrake is non existant, make sure the handbrake cable underneath is not stretch / damaged. Then to adjust it properly, loosen the handbrake cable adjusting nuts and the rear wheels and discs need to come off and adjust the star wheel so when the discs are put on, it just drags. Then tighten the adjusting nuts to get the right number of clicks.

A gregory's workshop manual is a good investment :)

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
hi mate,
the front parkers t10 wedgeglobes im 99% sure,
i recon dont get altezzas or clear, get standard or smoked standard tail lights.

and if your heaters not working well first id check for coolants full if not maybe a stuck thermostat?

brando93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
people really love the standard lights hey, haha. the more i do see though they do look nice n clean with them on if the utes tidy.
cheers ashzv6, il probably get them soon.
and looks like il be spending some times troubleshooting all parts of my aircon, yayyy :D
cheers for the feedback guys