Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Identifying a real VS SS

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
It should have spotties,ss seats,abs, 1 or 2 airbags, lsd,roll bar...ss wheels,

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Standard Equipment:
V8, sports suspension, ABS (Anti-lock Braking System), LSD (Limited Slip Differential), front bumper apron and side skirts, a rear bar in polished alloy, 16 inch alloy wheels, fog lamps, leather coverings for steering wheel, handbrake and gearshift, and power windows and air-conditioning.

Optional Equipment:
Passenger's airbag, 17 inch alloy wheels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thats from the web site

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Model watch

THE VS was a facelift, but it was a much refined version of the VR ute which first saw the light of day in 1993. Like its passenger car cousins, the VS utes were little different on the outside from their predecessors. Most of the changes took place under the skin.

The big news was the ECOTEC V6 engine which, while seemingly identical to the 3.8-litre V6 it replaced, was almost entirely new: smaller, lighter, smoother and more fuel-efficient than its predecessor. Capacity remained at 3.8-litres, but it had a new block, heads, manifolds and an all-alloy cast sump.

The electronics were upgraded with a new computer, as well as a hot-wire air-mass sensor and sequential fuel-injection. It all added up to 17kW more power, which was now 147kW at 5200 revs with peak torque of 304Nm at 3600 revs. But there was also a 6 per cent improvement in fuel consumption, while meeting exhaust emission rules. Transmission choices were a five-speed manual box and four-speed electronic auto.

A Series II upgrade in 1996 can be identified by Series II badges and oval-shaped side blinker repeater lights. It also brought a number of small improvements, including a new five-speed German Getrag manual gearbox for the V6. Mid-1998 saw a Series III upgrade, identified by Series III badges and clear side blinker repeater lights.

There were also a number of interior upgrades, and for the first time there was a 5.0-litre Holden V8 SS model to complement the previous range which was limited to the standard Commodore and S models. The SS was distinguished by a neatly integrated body kit made up of front bumper and side skirts. There was also a polished alloy rear sports bar, 16-inch alloy wheels, fog lamps and SS decals.

The SS V8 gave the hottie ute plenty of tail-wagging performance with 168kW driving the rear wheels through a five-speed manual and a limited-slip diff. ABS and sports suspension helped keep it in line, which was nice when the rear inevitably stepped out under enthusiastic acceleration.

Inside there was leather wrapping on the sports steering wheel, hand brake and gearshift knob. The seats had SS identification, there were power windows and airconditioning was standard.

The arrival of the SS was a clear indication that the Holden ute had become as much a lifestyle vehicle as it was a hard worker.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
heres some more info>>>>>>>>In the shop

THE Holden ute's body and chassis are robust and reliable, and little trouble is reported from the field. Likewise the V6 engines are generally robust with a number of owners reporting untroubled motoring well above 200,000km.

Look for oil leaks from the rear main crankshaft seal and around the oil pan, and also from the power steering pump. Fuel pumps tend to fail around the 200,000km mark. One owner was less than happy when his engine had to be replaced because of a worn camshaft at quite low mileage, and he says the telltale noise is back again.

Overheating in autos in VS II utes can lead to transmission problems at around 100,000km. It can't be fixed simply by changing the oil, and Holden rebuilt or replaced a number of transmissions. Holden fixed the problem by releasing an oil cooler kit which can be retro-fitted.

Noisy diffs are also a widespread problem. It's important to use the Holden-recommended oil in diffs to

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
hope all this helps???????>>>>>>>>>>
For the first time, Holden is offering buyers a sporty 'SS' version of its popular Ute.
The most highly-specified of the upgraded new VS Series III range of Holden Utes released this month, the limited edition SS earns its insignia through a high-powered blend of 5.0 litre V8 performance with handling to match, stand-out good looks and extra luxury features.

Holden will produce just 300 Series III SS Utes, which have been developed in response to a growing trend towards light commercial vehicles that combine weekday practicality with weekend style. Geoff Bennett, Holden's Marketing Manager, Large Cars, says the first-ever SS Ute can only enhance the reputation of a model range already so popular that it has outsold its closest competition for three years straight.

"We're in the business of satisfying consumer expectations - and the new Series III Ute line-up is intended to do just that. The special edition SS model is our response to well-defined demand for a ute that delivers all the practical virtues you'd expect - and does it with a big dash of style, comfort and individuality," he said. "Because of its unique character and special edition status, there's no doubt that the Holden Ute SS is destined to become a collector's item," Geoff Bennett concluded.

Externally, the Series III Holden Ute SS is distinguished by a well-integrated body kit comprising a front bumper skirt and side skirts. It boasts a distinctive rear sports bar in polished alloy, striking 16" alloy wheels, fog lamps and SS insignia on its flank and tailgate.

Effortless performance comes courtesy of a 5.0 litre 168kW V8, teamed with a 5-speed manual transmission. Handling is complemented by sports suspension, anti-lock braking (ABS) and a limited slip differential.

Inside, the Ute SS offers such individual style and comfort features as leather-bound steering wheel, handbrake and gearshift handle. There is SS identification on the seats, which are trimmed in woven jacquard with bold blue inserts. Power windows and air conditioning are standard.

GOOD LUCK...I WAS GOING TO GET AN SS BEFORE I GOT MYY MALOO....I JUST LIKED THE LITTLE EXTRA KICK FROM THE V8 185KW UP 17KW ONTHE SS,S 168KW.I DO MISS NO PLACE FOR SPOTTIES ON THE MALOOO,ID ADD SPOTITIES IF SHE WASNT SO STOCK AS A ROCK,I DONT WANNA ADD WIRES AND SWITCHES AS IM KEEEPING MY MALOOO THE SAME AS IT LEFT CLAYTON IN MELB IN 1998( AND YES ITS GOT THAT FARKING HUGE REAR WING THAT EVERY 1 KNOCK)BUT I TELL YOU 1 THING THAT UGLY WING GIVES IT HEAPS AND HEAPS OF DOWN FORCE...ANYWAYS BEST OF LUCK.......READ ALL ABOVE AND YOU SHOULD DO OK ON THE DAY IN REF TO KNOWING WHAT YOUR LOOOKING AT....PS IM SURE HOLDEN HAS THE VIN LISTED OR YOUR CAR TO CHECK ON (SAME AS I DO WITH MY HSV)BEST OF LUCK

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
HOPE THIS ISNT INFO OVERLOAD>>> HERE WAS THE PRICE AND OPTIONS LIST WHEN BUILT>>>>>>VS Series III Holden Ute Pricing:
(manual) (auto)
ECOTEC V6 Ute $23,620 $25,100
ECOTEC V6 Ute S $27,030 $27,730
V8 Ute SS $34,290 $34,990

Selected VS Series III Holden Ute and Ute S Options:
Air conditioning $2150 (Ute, Ute S)
Anti-lock braking $990 (Ute, Ute S)
Driver and passenger airbags $1552 (Ute, Ute S)
168kW 5.0 litre V8 $3010 (Ute S)
Bench/bucket seating (no extra cost) (Ute)
Limited slip differential $510 (Ute)

Series III Holden Ute Colours:

One new finish, Tungsten, is included among a choice of 5 colours.
AND AT THE END OFF ALL THIS>>>>>>WAS IT A REAL SS OR A MOCK UP YOU ENDED UP WITH ( SOME NICE MOCK UPS AROUND ALSO)

monarols71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series11 Ute
Thanks for all of that jb4u, but i've got the sites bookmarked with all that info. Does 8BD at the end of the model code sound right? And the VIN doesn't seem specific enough. Just that it's a v8 ute with luxury level "executive, s, or ss". I gather Holden weren't very specific with their VINs. I suppose if it was HSV it'd tell everything about the build down to number of toilet breaks it took to build it. Not quite, but you know what I mean. Thanks.

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
What about VS SS S111 utes. Bermuda blue and phantom black are the only colours (300 of each?), but they could be any series 3 utes. Can any one give me any hints on telling a REAL one. All the information I have read seams to be related to the sedans. I am after any VS SS Series111 specific information if anyone can help me out.
Can anyone also tell me about the SS S111 manual ECM. My Holden wiring manual says that it should be the smaller version with 2 bottom connectors, but the one I have seen has the 3 connectors up the side like a V6 PCM. It says it's a 5.0L MAN PCM. I thought PCM was for automatics on v8. It has the VT engine, if that makes any difference. Are the pinouts the same as the V6 PCM. Any help greatly appreciated.

The series 3 V8 utes were a PCM of their own. Was a mix of VT and VS as the VT went to serial data to instrument cluster and other items whereas the VS body still has mostly individual wires run for signals to dash etc. The VT stuff is your multipoint fuel injection, twin knock sensors standard and MAF sensor to meet emissions of the year. So a bitsa really and won't find these ecu's in any other model.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mich>>>> that would be the same in the vs series 3 v8 maloo??? And if so would that answer another qustion i have posted re a series 2 iss system being put into a series 3 maloo.....so i take it the pcu is diff in the series 2 and wouldnt be able to have a series 2 iss security system fitted into a series 3 with a diff pcu from the series 2...any help on this would be great